Sunday, June 5, 2016

Mercy in the Mundane

It seems like a small thing but I took it as a sign that God was gracing me. At my job, I am the recipient when someone sends a message to the website to "contact" the church. A couple of weeks ago, someone contacted the church to let us know they were getting rid of a stack of puzzles and wondered if "we" knew of anyone who would like them.

Well, since Andy has been struggling with Alzheimer's, and I've read enough to know he needs to keep practicing and stretching his brain, I told the person our situation and asked if it would be ok for us to have them. He was very gracious and seemed eager to give them to us. 

So far we've done 3 of the puzzles, and they are a stretch. I have always enjoyed them, Andy not so much. But he is a good sport, and he is actually pretty good at organizing the pieces by color. He gets a few of them together, but I admit I do most of the puzzle myself. It is very satisfying to get one done, and it's something we can do together. He really liked this barn scene.


The lion puzzle has been my favorite so far, even though it took us longer than most. The pieces are very small and there are 1,000 of them, but the finished product is so interesting, we've not been able to take it apart and put it away.


We worked on the one below this week. It was somewhat frustrating because the finished puzzle wasn't at all like the picture on the box. But the puzzle came with a mystery story to go along with it.


I finished reading Abide in Christ by Andrew Murray and it really ministered to my soul/spirit. So much so, that I decided to read it again. So I am reading a day's worth every morning, then I also read it out loud to Andy. We are both benefiting greatly from it. 

On Tuesday, this past week, Andy and I met up with Christy and Amy and the kids for another day at Morris Arboretum. A couple other families joined us with 16 kids altogether! It was a perfect spring day, and we all had a wonderful time enjoying each other and the beautiful grounds.









Andy isn't the only one with a memory problem. I so much need to be reminded of scriptural truth and what's important. 

Pastor's message this morning was so spot on, too. He's doing a three-week series on the Wilderness Road. Why did God take the Israelites the long road to the Promised Land? He had a purpose in it as he explains in Exodus 13:17-22. God's purposes in the long road through the desert were to escape the dangers of the short road and to experience the lessons of the long road. And what were some of those lessons? 

1. The lesson of awe - God became bigger to them as they witnessed his miracles: parting the Red Sea, providing manna and water in the desert, etc.

2.  The lesson of dependence - God used their lack to show them their need.

I can relate to this. I have been in awe as I've experienced God provide the strength and resources I've needed for this journey he has me on. And I've also experienced God's all-sufficiency and faithfulness and how utterly dependent I am on him.

A couple of weeks ago, we sang a new song (to me) in the worship service, Worth it All by Ben Cantelon. A couple of the phrases that struck me were:

"I let go of all I have just to have all of You."
"Jesus, everything I lost, I have found in You."

I love the comfort of these verses:

Psalm 94:19 - "When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul."

Psalm 119:132 - "Turn to me and have mercy on me, as you always do to those who love your name."

I am so grateful for the peace and joy God has granted to me. It's hard to explain how it can be so, but I am enjoying life. 

Andy's illness doesn't upset me, I'm not denying it, or angry about it. I can even find the humor in it. This afternoon, Andy looked at the refrigerator and was reading the menu for the week that is posted there. As he was looking at it, he commented that the handwriting looked like Phyllis's. I told him it was Phyllis's handwriting...I had written it. 

When we got home from church, as we came into the house, he opened the door to the basement. I asked him what he was doing, and he said he was trying to get the "lay of the land." Then a little later, his dad came over to invite Andy to watch the ball game with him. After he left, Andy asked me to help him find the way over to Mom and Dad's apartment. 

Andy's tremors are getting worse. It's hard for him to drink without spilling it all over himself. I give him a straw which really helps. He also has to eat with a spoon. If he tries to use a fork, the food just won't stay on, but drops all over the place. So we're adjusting and trying to find ways to make his life easier. The Lord has given me great compassion for him. I really feel bad for him and what he has to endure. But he never complains. Occasionally, he gets sad about it, but usually, he's just kind, sweet, good natured, loving and thankful. He thanks me for everything: for dinner, for lunch, for taking him places, everything!

Oh, and this is a milestone! The other day, he told me I was a good driver! Whoa! When he first had to let me do all the driving, he was very anxious and apprehensive when I drove. I thanked him for the compliment, then he elaborated a little by saying that he's driven with some very wild and crazy drivers. I was wondering if he didn't realize who I was at the moment, and was remembering how I used to frighten him. Or maybe he's getting used to my driving. Who knows? But I'll take it.

Thank you, Lord, for the little things. There is mercy in the mundane!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I like that....he's ridden with some pretty wild and crazy drivers. That's a good one. 😆. Glad to know you aren't one of them anymore.