Sunday, June 12, 2016

Laughter & Fun

One of the things I really loved about Andy when we first started dating was his ability to make me laugh. He was masterful at one-liners at just the right time. I confess I laugh easily. My mother used to tell me I wouldn't be able to discipline my own children if I was always laughing at them. 

Andy would sometimes express astonishment that I laughed at all his "dumb" jokes. So I would come back at him that I wasn't necessarily laughing at his jokes, I was laughing that he actually thought he was funny.

Raising our children was often far from funny. But when things got tense, Andy's advice was to "keep a sense of humor." There's nothing like a little bit of fun to ease the tension. But I have to admit, it was sometimes easier said than done.

We had a beautiful day on Thursday. The sun was shining but the temperature was still cool. I had this long list of gardening that needed to be done - hanging over me. All the little maple trees and weeds growing taller by the day in the gardens, and the bushes was really getting, well, bushy, and out of control!

So as soon as I got home from work, Andy and I went out and worked till dinner time. I made something quick, then we went out again. What a great feeling to get all that done - and enjoying the great outdoors at the same time. After we were done, I couldn't believe how sore I was all over.


These are sundrops...aren't they so cheerful looking?

The next morning as we were pulling out of the driveway, we both at the same time, said, "looking good." Then we had to laugh. As we were laughing, Andy said, "I'm going to have to tell Phyllis that one." And I couldn't help laughing some more.

Laughter is a great gift. Proverbs 17:22 says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine..."  

I love to watch the birds at our bird feeder as I work in my kitchen. However, the squirrels are determined to get their share. Actually, they get a lot more than their share. So I already had one squirrel-proof feeder, and recently bought another one. The idea is that when a squirrel puts its weight on the ledge, it drops down to close off the holes where the food is. Well, this doesn't stop them from trying. It's actually quite entertaining to watch them. The other day, I saw the squirrel on top of the roof of the little house hanging upside down. He was trying all his tricky moves when he suddenly lost his grip and fell head first into the bush. 



Earlier in the week, we took a trip to PA in order to celebrate Naomi's 11th birthday. It's always great fun to be with our kids and grandkids. I made a cheesecake with strawberry topping to take along.

It takes great thought to come up with the perfect wish before blowing out your candles.



There was some time to do a "little" reading to Claire. Actually, I read a stack of books...so many I was beginning to lose my voice.  



 All too soon it was time to leave to go home again.

These incidents just show that as hard as life can be, there is respite at times and joy along the way.

Pastor's message was another good one this morning. I can't begin to express my gratitude in God bringing us to this church. I have learned so much over the years from sitting under his teaching/preaching ministry. Today we celebrated 35 years of his leadership and the church's existence.

His sermon this morning was from Exodus 15:22-27 where the Israelites arrived at the bitter water in the desert. Instead of trusting God to provide for them, they grumbled. They were disappointed in the waters and disappointed in God. Pastor said that when we grumble against God:
1. We set ourselves up as God's judge.
2. Our grumbling is veiled in grumbling against others.
3. It's shown in our attitude.
4. Grumbling often leads to other sins. We excuse our sins by thinking we deserve a break because of the hard things we're dealing with.    

But in the Israelites' case at the bitter waters, they discovered things about themselves and about God. And when we go through difficulties, we often discover things about ourselves. It's actually God testing us, to show us our hearts. If we grumble, we're really unhappy with God and his dealing with us. We are not trusting him. But if we surrender to him and trust that he knows what he's doing, we discover that he has resources we don't always recognize. Moses picked up a stick and threw it in the bitter waters and they became sweet. Who would have thought - the solution was there all along. God also has reasons for what we are going through that we can always benefit by. He encourages our remembrance and he brings relief in HIS time. We are often so impatient, wanting relief immediately. But something disastrous can be a catalyst for change.

And don't we all want to become better persons? Knowing God better? Becoming more mature in our walk with the Lord? 

I know from experience that God feels so much more "with" me when I am at my neediest. I see his hand, I experience his goodness and grace. He gives me the strength to endure; and yes, even the gift of laughter in the darkest of times because we are not without hope. 

"We rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings...Hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." Romans 5:2b-5
 
And if that doesn't put a song in your heart and a spring in your step...

No comments: