Sunday, November 19, 2017

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

If we're so tough, where do we go? Actually I think my modus operandi is more like the song Plumb sings: How many times have I cried out, "God please take this"? I am anything but tough.


Well, everybody's got a story to tell
And everybody's got a wound to be healed
I want to believe there's beauty here
'Cause oh, I get so tired of holding on
I can't let go, I can't move on
I want to believe there's meaning here


How many times have you heard me cry out
"God please take this"?
How many times have you given me strength to
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.

Standing on a road I didn't plan
Wondering how I got to where I am
I'm trying to hear that still small voice
I'm trying to hear above the noise

How many times have you heard me cry out
God please take this?

How many times have you given me strength to
Just keep breathing?
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.

Though I walk,
Though I walk through the shadows
And I, I am so afraid
Please stay, please stay right beside me
With every single step I take
How many times have you heard me cry out?
And how many times have you given me strength?

How many times have you heard me cry out
"God please take this"?
How many times have you given me strength to
Just keep breathing?
 
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.
I need you now
Oh I need you
God, I need you now.
I need you now
I need you now
Songwriters: Christina Wells / Luke Sheets / Tiffany Lee, Need You Now lyrics © DO Write Music LLC, Mike Curb Music

Andy had a good day last week where we were able to enjoy being together. He asked me about church. So I told him everyone who was on staff, including the three interns. After I finished the list, he was quiet, then teared up. He said, "tell everyone I love them." Oh, how touching. But then the next thing out of his mouth was: "So have you been doing any preaching lately?" Uh, no!

Then the next two nights were awful. His tremors were significant and they were distressing him. While I was there the one night, his doctor came in. I was so glad I was there, because when the doctor asked Andy how he was doing, he said "ok." I was able to talk to the doctor, questioning him on whether all the meds Andy is taking are really necessary, since they eventually lose their effectiveness. Also, one or two of them are highly potent, and do they really do what they're intended to do. I found out that to increase the meds to control his tremors cause the side effects of dizziness and low blood pressure. Several times Andy has complained of dizziness, even falling on several occasions because of extremely low blood pressure. So there's a trade off - either we do better at controlling the tremors which leads to low blood pressure and possible falls or we live with the tremors. This is very difficult to explain to Andy, though.

Christy's Claire had a birthday on Tuesday - her 6th. She wanted a bowling party and invited me to join the family and two of her friends. I didn't bowl, but sat and watched and talked to Christy. We all had a good time. Claire is quite stylish in her "bowling outfit."



And you'll never guess what kind of cake she had! E-claire cake!


You'd have to be blind not to see that Claire loves pink and frills. So she was pretty happy with the gift I gave her.


A couple of evenings were spent with Dawn and her family. Monday night she came to Care One Harmony Village while I was visiting Andy. The kids really like to go there. The ice cream parlor is a hit, but they also like writing on the white board in Andy's room.


Another evening, I stopped at Starbucks and took Dawn's favorite drink to her house where we sat and chatted and played with the kids. 


I think hanging around all those kids during the week compromised my immune system. I thought I was coming down with a cold so I started sucking on Cold Eeze losenges and going to bed with Nyquil. I woke Saturday morning feeling so slow, like I'd been drugged (like I'd taken Nyquil - ha, ha). There were things I had to get done, but I just didn't have the energy. I did a lot of resting and working in slow motion, and I did get most of my list accomplished. Then all of a sudden, I felt good right around dinner time. (The Nyquil must have worn off!)

For a while, I've been missing the privilege of hosting gatherings at our house. Andy and I felt very strongly that God gave us this house, and we wanted to use it for Him and His purposes. So over the years, we hosted many different Bible study groups and meetings, as well as having the room for our own family as we grew.

Then the Lord provided me with an opportunity to host a birthday party for a friend from church. It was special how all the details came together and pointed to my hosting the party at our house. Granted, I wouldn't have Andy to help me bring tables and chairs up from the basement, but there would be others who could help.

As it turned out, it was a beautiful afternoon in every way. Our house was full of laughter, friends and good food.

 
 


We had 8 adults and 11 children - a table and house full! It was a special blessing from the Lord that as we ate and talked together, many of those who were here mentioned how they had met "Pastor Andy" and how much he meant to them. My heart was full and I am grateful for the Lord's goodness to me.

As we go into Thanksgiving week, it is fitting to praise God for Who He is and what He has done. 

Psalm 33:1-5, 20-22
"Sing joyfully to the LORD, you righteous; it is fitting for the upright to praise him. 
Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre.
Sing to him a new song; play skillfully and shout for joy.
for the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.
The LORD loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love...
We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield.
In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you."

No comments: