There hasn't been any change - just more of the same: Andy's not well, I visit him every evening and watch him suffer. It's very distressing.
How do I cope? I run to the Lord and look to Him and His Word to soothe my soul. Any time I'm in the car, I listen to K-Love. Most of the songs that are played speak to my heart. The authors of the songs have obviously gone through deep waters themselves because the lyrics they write lead us to God and His care.
One I heard this past week was Magnify by We are Messengers.
I've been trying to make sense of the sorrow that I feel
Holding on for life to the only thing that's real
I've only scratched the surface, I've barely had a taste
But just a glimpse draws my heart to change
And one side of You lays my sin to waste
I don't need to see everything
Just more of You
Take it all, take it all away
Magnify no other name
Open up, open up my eyes
To You
My sight is incomplete and I made You look small
I've been staring at my problems for way too long
Realign where my hope is set
Until You're all that's left
But just a glimpse draws my heart to change
And one side of You lays my sin to waste
I don't need to see everything
Just more of you
God, be greater than the worries in my life
Be stronger than the weakness in my mind
Be louder, let your glory come alive.
Be magnified.
And then in this morning's reading, Spurgeon (in Morning and Evening) was expounding on 1 Peter 1:7, "the tested genuineness of your faith." Peter says our faith is more precious than gold. But faith that is not tested is not really faith.
Spurgeon says: "Untested faith may be true faith, but it is sure to be small faith, and it is likely to remain little as long as it is without trials. Faith never prospers so well as when all things are against her: tempests are her trainers, and bolts of lightning are her illuminators...Tested faith brings experience. You could not have believed your own weakness if you had not been compelled to pass through the rivers; and you would never have known God's strength if you had not been supported in the flood. Faith increases in quality, assurance, and intensity the more it is exercised with tribulation. Faith is precious, and its trial is precious, too."
Another day, I read Deuteronomy 33:27 "Underneath are the everlasting arms." This reminded me of a favorite saying of mine: "There is no pit so deep, that God is not deeper still." It's a beautiful thought to comfort us that no matter how low we go, God's arms are beneath us, supporting and carrying us. And those arms of His do not grow tired or weary, (Isaiah 40:28).
A favorite verse of Andy's was: Psalm 62:11-12 ~ "One thing God has spoken, two things have I heard: that you, O God, are strong, and that you, O Lord, are loving."
Both those attributes of God we've heard since we were babies:
Jesus loves me, this I know
For the Bible tells me so,
Little ones to Him belong.
We are weak, but He is strong
Yes, Jesus loves me...
As I was driving over to see Andy tonight, I couldn't help but think that I was getting kind of used to being on my own. Then I struggled not to feel guilty for enjoying the company of friends this afternoon, or that I was actually having good times in spite of his suffering. I have to bring every thought captive and continue to remind myself what is true. I know Andy would want me to enjoy my life. He would not want me to feel guilty or always be sad. In fact, one evening this past week when he was in extreme suffering, I teared up in his presence. He immediately, even as bad as he was feeling himself, asked me what was wrong. When I told him I hated to see him suffer, he tried to console and comfort me.
A couple of evenings ago, when I took the mail over to Andy's mom and day, they were looking intently out their window. They called me over to look with them...the yard was full of deer.
My picture shows only a few of them. I had to laugh because that very day, Ricky was off hunting. When I showed him the picture of all these deer in my yard, he said he had been hunting all day and hadn't seen even one deer! Oh, the irony!
Through it all, I pray that the experiences I am going through will not be wasted, that God will be magnified in how I deal with the disappointments and heartaches that he allows, that I will be able to see the goodness of his hand in every moment of every day. But this can only happen because of His dwelling in me. "For apart from me, you can do nothing," Jesus said in John 15:5.
I need Him - this is too much for little me.
No comments:
Post a Comment