Sunday, November 26, 2017

"Giving thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 
1 Thessalonians 5:18

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." Philippians 4:6 

First of all, I'm thankful for Thanksgiving because it is an opportunity to remember how much we have to be thankful for. We all have troubles, trials and difficult things we are dealing with, but even in dark times, we can be thankful. 

I am dealing with Andy's illness which is very difficult for me. Seeing the one I love suffer is almost more than I can bear. I tear up as I type this. So what can I find to be thankful for in this? 

Actually, there is a lot that I can think of, and I'm sure that there is a lot more that I just take for granted, that I'm oblivious to.

When I arrived at Care One Harmony Village (COHV) on Monday night, I saw Andy's doctor in the conference room. I was signing in, but he looked up and saw me, and took a few minutes to talk to me. He told me he had contacted Andy's other doctor and they decided to reduce a couple of Andy's medications. I was grateful for that opportunity to talk to the doctor, as well as his listening to my concerns last week, then following through. 

I wasn't sure when I first scheduled the hike for Tuesday whether it would be good timing because of it being Thanksgiving week. As it turned out, I'm glad I hadn't canceled because the weather was beautiful. It was also good for me to be with others that day. Being with people helps take my mind off my own troubles. Hearing the stories of others who are going through their own struggles is a mutual encouragement.

There were six of us, and we went to Palmyra Cove for our hike. I like that park because we always see deer. And as we drove into the nature center, we had to wait for a huge flock of turkeys to cross the road. This park is right along the Delaware River, but also has a large wooded area with trails winding throughout those woods. We hiked along the perimeter trail until we hit the Cove Trail, took that to the end, then turned around and hiked back to the nature center - my guess is about 5 miles total.



This is a beaver lodge in the middle of the tidal pool. We were there at low tide so the lodge seems pretty exposed, but my guess is that the beavers are still pretty safe because what, after all, is going to risk walking in that sand and mud?


In anticipation that I would be by myself on Thanskgiving Day, I invited myself to go to the Thanksgiving parade in Philadelphia with Dawn and her in-laws. Andy and I had gone a number of years ago when Kira was a baby, but after doing that, we decided it wasn't for us. But I believe the Lord gave me the idea to do it again because it would give me something to do, and I'd be with people I love. We took the high-speed-line over to Philadelphia, then walked several blocks to find a good spot in the sun. It was pretty cold, so sun was important. I was dressed warm and really wasn't cold at all.



After standing to watch the parade for about an hour, someone discovered that those doors directly behind us led to an inside Starbucks. Well, that was the end of watching the parade for me. I went in, had a coffee, and stayed inside until everyone was ready to leave. Pretty wimpy, right???

When I got home, I spent the rest of the day making a batch of rolls and a pumpkin cheesecake dessert. Everything came out of the oven in time for me to make it over to see Andy.

We had our family time on Friday...this has been our family tradition since the girls have been married and have their own families. We order pizza and panzarottis, I make a huge salad, and everybody's happy. After we had our coffee, we all drove over to COHV to see Andy. I really wanted to get an updated family picture with everyone. I didn't have one that included Cole. 

We had to take many pictures, and try several different times, but finally got one that was acceptable. The sun was shining and we were able to be outside, which was our hope since natural lighting is always the best. Andy was cold and wanted to go inside, but he was a good sport and did what we wanted. He was also feeling pretty miserable and really wanted to just lie down. At the same time, he was happy to see everyone and wanted to be there with them.


I am very happy with this picture and have looked at it numerous times. It always makes my heart smile. A friend commented that it was sweet that Andy and I were holding hands. I like holding his hand, but I also have to do it to help guide him to where he needs to go. He would either wander off or stand still in confusion.

We didn't really spend a lot of time with him because he just wasn't up to it. So Christy and her family came back to our house, and they graciously put up my tree and decorated it. I honestly don't think I would have bothered if they hadn't wanted to do it.



I fed them their dinner before sending them on their way. Everyone was tired after the excitement of the day, but I am grateful for the blessing of our family.

Speaking of family, on Saturday, Dawn called me to ask how I was doing. I told her I was emotional, having a hard time keeping back the tears. After all, holidays are difficult when there is a family member missing. And seeing him in his condition on Friday was also hard. She then asked me if I wanted to come over. They were going to take Kasey to get her ears pierced. She had been asking for that, especially after seeing her cousin the day before with earrings. So I jumped at the chance to get out of the house and to be with people I love. I drove with them in their car to the mall where Kasey picked out earrings, then bravely sat while she got her ears pierced. I couldn't believe it but she didn't cry. She looked a little shocked to get the "pinch" but she bravely endured! What a cutie!


In an email I received this week from Grief Share, I couldn't agree more with what was advised:

Dr. Larry Crabb says, “In the field of the soul there are no professional surgeons; there are only caring Christians... People in the church will enable you, through their love, to move forward on your journey. They may not know the exact words to say, and their timing will not always be right, but be assured that they love you because they love the Lord." 

This is exactly what happens on Sunday mornings when I go to church, or any time during the week when I am with someone from church. They care enough to ask me how I'm doing, how Andy's doing, then empathize with me as I tell them what I'm going through. They are not threatened by my tears and they promise to pray for me.


On top of the trauma of dealing with Andy's illness and watching him suffer is some news I received about our financial situation. There are a lot of questions that will need to be worked through - this seems overwhelming to me. I need to start applying for Medicaid assistance. Fortunately, I have a good elder care lawyer who is willing to make the application for me, but there will still be lots of paperwork for me to provide and sign and prove, etc. 

But again...in everything give thanks. God has promised that "He will provide for all our needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:19

I can't see the future or try to figure out how this is all going to work out, but some day, I'll look back and be amazed at what God did. I believe, Lord, help my unbelief.



"Cast My Cares"

When fear feels bigger than my faith
And struggles steal my breath away
When my back's pressed up against the wall
With the weight of my worries stacked up tall
You're strong enough to hold it all

I will cast my cares on You
You're the anchor of my hope
The only one who's in control
I will cast my cares on You
I'll trade the troubles of this world
For Your peace inside my soul

This war's not what I would have chosen
But You see the future no one knows yet
And You're still good when I can't
See the working of Your hands
You're holding it all

I will cast my cares on You
You're the anchor of my hope
The only one who's in control
I will cast my cares on You
I'll trade the troubles of this world
For Your peace inside my soul


I'm finding there's freedom,
When I lay it all on Your shoulders


Cast my cares I will, cast my cares I will, cast my cares on You
Cast my cares I will, cast my cares I will, cast my cares on You
Cast my cares I will, cast my cares I will, cast my cares on You


I will cast my cares on You
You're the anchor of my hope
The only one who's in control
I will cast my cares on You
I'll trade the troubles of this world
For Your peace inside my soul

 Publishing: © 2014 Universal Music - Brentwood Benson Publishing (ASCAP) / Songs Of Emack (ASCAP)

No comments: