
For instance, Hugo described a cloudy sky as: "heavy clouds filled the horizon with their melancholy folds." I love that: "melancholy folds." Can't you just see the gray clouds piling up on top of each other? In one of the sections in his book, Hugo went into a discussion of old age. He described the four corners of old age as being: decrepitude, decay, ruin and sadness. Sounds depressing and not very hopeful.
But that is not taking into account the gospel.
This week I pulled God is the Gospel by John Piper off the shelf. I love Piper's writing because he beautifully points us to a God centeredness when our culture is so focused on self. In chapter 6, Piper refers to our walk with the Lord as being transformed from glory to glory, but this is not true for our physical bodies in this age. He says, "the experience of all Christians in this life is progressive aging and weakening and failing health and death." I identified with this degeneration because I am witnessing it first hand with Andy's health.
I am a little surprised by people's response if I mention that I'm getting older. The idea is often pooh-poohed. Oh no, not you! Well, I might have many more years to live, but I also might not. And I'm certainly not young any more! But that's ok with me. Piper points out that "Paul is very clear that this is part of the godly Christian experience as we "wait...for...the redemption of our bodies." "Not only creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies" (Romans 8:23). Then he goes on to add that this "outward decay is simultaneous with inward renewal from glory to glory as we fix our gaze on the glory of Christ." (2 Corinthians 4:16-18)
But the good news of the gospel is that even though our bodies are wearing out, that is not the end. Because God gave himself to us by sending Jesus to die for our sins and win us to himself, death is not the end. Jesus conquered death and because he lives, we will too.
Piper contends that God is the greatest gift of the gospel in and above all other gifts. He quotes Jonathan Edwards who says: "He is the highest good, the sum of all that good which Christ purchased. God is the inheritance of the saints; he is the portion of their soul. God is their wealth and treasure, their food, their life, their dwelling place, their ornament and diadem, and their everlasting honor and glory."
We will spend eternity being dazzled by God's beauty and glory. Psalm 16:11 ~ "In Your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore." And David says in Psalm 27:4 ~ "One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek; that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple."
I love to think about our future life with our Lord in heaven, when we'll be free from the heartaches of this life and enjoying more happiness than we can ever imagine here. But while we are still here, there is also much to enjoy in this life. Piper makes the point that just as God promises that "all things" work for the good of those who love God, so He will also, along with Jesus, graciously give us "all things." (Romans 8:28 & 32) "All things" means all things, in this life as well as in the life to come. We enjoy the saving gifts of the gospel: predestination, incarnation, justification, reconciliation, consummation, eternal life, etc.
And in the here and now, this life, I have many things to be thankful for. God has blessed me abundantly with a loving family, hobbies, books to read, friends who encourage me, cry with me and go to lunch with me, a job, a beautiful home to live in, to name a few.
I've been working on a puzzle the last couple of weeks. I love this particular one because it is a puzzle of a lion, in the shape of a lion, with different African animals arranged on the body of the lion. How creative of the artist to come up with this idea. It wasn't easy with 1,000 pieces and the border pieces were not all obvious. But it was fun to spend a few minutes here and there to work on it and see it come together.
I was able to attend a hockey game that Chase was playing in. Their game was fairly close by, still in Pennsylvania but just over the river. His games are usually a lot further away so I was happy to be able to spend some time with the girls and Amy in the bleachers (Ricky stood because he gets too excited to sit still) and watch Chase play his game. It's amazing to watch those kids skate around forwards and backwards...how do they go so fast? While I was sitting with Amy, she mentioned that Joanna had crocheted dresses for her dolls. When I saw the dresses, I was impressed. What detail...even scallops on the hem of the one dress. Joanna is only 9. The doll on the left was her first attempt, but the one on the right is quite good.
After the game, the kids were happy to pose with me.
It looks like Chase is taller than I am, but that's only because he has his skates on. He still has a few inches to go, although I don't anticipate it will be much longer.
Yes, life is hard. January is especially hard for me because that is the month we lost our first born. You never get over the death of a loved one...never. But even though life is hard, God is so good. He reveals himself to those who hurt. He watches over and sustains the widow (Psalm 146:9). "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3).
Suffering helps to intensify our longing for God and the hope we have in Him. We come to experience his grace, mercy, peace and goodness when we are desperate and needy. He is our Rescuer, our Rock, our Strong Tower, our All in All.
So the good news of the gospel is God Himself. He gave us His son, Jesus Christ, who is the image of God. We see God in the face of Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:3-6) "The Son is the radiance of God's glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word." Hebrews 1:3
No comments:
Post a Comment