Sunday, January 7, 2018

"Spiritual growth is sometimes tedious work, one small step at a time." Improvement is gradual. There are seasons in our spiritual life. "Sometimes we will have a short, intense burst of growth (springtime) followed by a period of stabilizing and testing (fall and winter)." (from Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life, page 221)

The stabilizing and testing are just as necessary to our lives as the bursts of growth. We can appreciate spring so much better after having endured the winter. It's why I love living in the northeast. I can like winter only as I think of how temporary it is and how lovely spring will be. But even in winter, there are moments of beauty...as in new fallen snow, of frozen ponds providing recreation to ice skaters, a blazing fire in a fireplace that adds ambiance and coziness, a mug of hot chocolate, just to mention a few. 

Right now my season of life seems to be a certain plodding. One step at a time, one day at a time. I'm conscious of the fact that I need to be content with things at a certain standstill. When people ask me how Andy is or how I am, I say "about the same." And I have to thank God for that answer. God uses the mountain top experience as well as drought times to grow us, mature us, make us more like Jesus.

I think more than ever, my life's theme needs to be:

Help me want the Healer more than the healing
Help me want the Savior more than the saving
Help me want the Giver more than the giving
Help me want you Jesus more than anything
 

Written by Becca Mizell and Sam Mizell, recorded by Natalie Grant

No comments: