Sunday, January 15, 2017

Mercy outruns malice.

Think about that. Jesus told Peter that Satan had asked to sift him, but Jesus had prayed for him that his faith would not fail. Isn't that a comfort to think that no matter what trials we face, Jesus is praying for us that our faith will not fail? He understands what we're going through, grieves with us and prays that we will not be overwhelmed or give in to despair. Since he is perfect, he is in the perfect position to know how to pray intelligently for us. His desire is for our growth and God's glory.

I'm also encouraged that Satan had to ask permission to sift Peter. So anything that happens to me is only by God's permission. He has a reason for allowing anything to come our way. In Peter's case, he was allowed to be tested in order that he might strengthen his brothers. And he did become quite bold in his proclamation of the gospel.

We don't always know the reason for our own trials except what Scripture tells us. For instance, James 1 says that our trials are for teaching us perseverance. And perseverance develops maturity in us. Even though trials are difficult, who in reality wants to remain a child? We need to grow up in our faith, and there's nothing like an impossible situation to teach us dependence on the One who is stronger than we are. When we are forced to lean not on our own understanding, we realize how beautiful is the grace and mercy of God that enables us to endure.

In my own case, if it hadn't been for the difficult trials I have and am facing, I would tend to live in "la-la land." I wouldn't be able to empathize with others who are going through hard times. My bent tends toward minimizing pain and hardship..."oh, it's not so bad." But dealing with the death of a child and a husband suffering with Alzheimer's - well, how can I minimize those?  At the same time, I realize that as long as we live on this earth, everyone has their own set of issues that are hard to deal with. 

I am so amazed, although I shouldn't be when I consider the kindness of our Lord, at how he responds to me when I am a mess of worry. He sympathizes with my pain and always meets me in my need. My thoughts were beginning to wander to the dark side the other day, grieving because of my new status of virtual singleness and feeling inadequate to this new role; specifically, how am I going to meet all my financial needs. There are sure to be many needs that I don't even foresee, etc. But instead of chastising me for my lack of trust in God meeting my needs, he sent me a reminder that he will in fact take care of me. I was sitting at my desk at work when a dear woman came in and handed me a card, telling me she and her husband were praying for me and wanted to give me a "small" gift. When I opened the card, there were not only encouraging words, but also a check for $1,000. 

What a good God he is to me. I certainly don't deserve such kindness, but I'm grateful. This past Tuesday's verse of the day was 2 Timothy 1:9 - "He has saved us and called us to a holy life -- not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time..."

There's comfort in knowing that God had my story planned out even before the creation of the world. And he knows how it's all going to end. It's faulty thinking to suppose I would like to know the ending, that I would be more at peace. Living by faith is pleasing to God. If I knew what was going to happen, I wouldn't need to depend on God. And dependence is what honors and glorifies God. 

I've had some interaction with Dawn and her family this past week. We got a good snow storm last Saturday.




We got a good amount of snow so Tommy came over to clear the driveway for me and brought the girls along. 


Kira stayed outside the whole time helping Tommy with shoveling. Kasey stayed in the house with me. She's very entertaining.

  
I met Dawn on Tuesday morning at Care One to visit Andy. She brought the kids along. Don't you just love Kasey's girly outfit?
 

And yesterday morning, they came over again to help me take down the Christmas tree. Tommy also gave me some suggestions on which of Andy's books he thought would sell well. I'm still working on organizing our books - what a job. But I think I'm getting closer to the finish line on this one. I now have every book catalogued, just need to decide which shelf they'll end up on.  

I have a lot of loose ends to tie up right now. I'm trying to commit my way to the Lord and just do the next thing, but my list is overwhelming. I think I'll be able to start checking things off this week so hopefully, by the end of this next week, I'll be a little bit less stressed.

I keep telling myself I'm "care free in the care of God." That's my new theme song!

I am very much enjoying Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotional readings. I was really ministered to this morning by what he wrote.

His text was from 2 Samuel 7:25 where David reminds God to do as he had promised. Spurgeon uses this text to remind us that "God's promises were never meant to be thrown aside as wastepaper; He intended that they should be used. God's gold is not miser's money but is minted to be traded with. Nothing pleases our Lord better than to see His promises put in circulation; He loves to see His children bring them up to Him and say, 'Lord, do as you have said.' We glorify God when we plead His promises."

Spurgeon is often referred to as "the prince of preachers." He was gifted in the way he crafted words and word pictures. He says: "Our heavenly Banker delights to cash His own notes. Never let the promise rust. Draw the word of promise out of its sheath and use it with holy violence."

He encourages his readers that God "loves to hear the loud outcries of needy souls. It is His delight to bestow favors. He is more ready to hear than you are to ask. The sun is not weary of shining, nor the fountain of flowing. It is God's nature to keep His promises; therefore go at once to the throne with, 'Do as You have said'."

So I'm going to arm myself this week with the promise of God's sufficiency for my every need, including His presence, strength and wisdom to accomplish all the items on my overwhelming list.

No comments: