Sunday, October 15, 2017

These have been two weeks full of fun and happy times. I'm so grateful for the oil of gladness, the joy God gives us even in the midst of difficult times. 

One of my many blessings is living close to Dawn so that I can just pop by her house to hang out. One evening Tommy was working late, so after I visited Andy, I drove on over to see Dawn. It was still light enough to play outside so we got the bikes out and let the kids ride and play while Dawn and I chatted and enjoyed the outdoors. I was getting a charge out of Cole riding his "bike." Dawn kept asking him if he wanted to ride in the stroller, but he was pretty emphatic about nixing that idea.


Dawn and I have been taking one evening a week for just the two of us to be together. We go to Starbucks and sit and chat for an hour or so with no interruptions from children needing attention. This has been such a booster to my spirits, and she says it's cathartic for her as well. 

Last weekend was scheduled to the hilt. I went and picked up Katy on Friday afternoon and brought her back to spend overnight with me. She turned 7 on the 10th but I already had something scheduled on that date (more on that later) so we celebrated her birthday a little earlier.

She seemed a little nervous about being with me all by herself, but we ended up having a good time (at least I did!). We did the usual fun things: watched a movie, ate ice cream in the living room (shhhh), played games, read stories, took a hike. She also loved having the dress up clothes all to herself, and I think she put most of them on all at once.


I love to braid little girls' hair so I'm happy when they let me have my fun. We took our hike at the Rancocas State Park. I wasn't sure how Katy would do since it's a 3.2 mile hike, but she did amazingly well. I was proud of her. We did sit down every time we saw a bench, but she did not complain or lag behind even though I know she was tired by the end.


After lunch on Saturday, Katy and I drove over to Dawn's and got Kira and Kasey. I took the three of them over to Care One Harmony Village because they were having a Fall Festival. Andy was already outside with the other residents and staff.



The girls had a lot of fun eating cider donuts and soft pretzels, petting the therapy dogs and mini horses. There was also pumpkin painting that occupied them for a while. Although it was fun to be there, it was almost too much for me - to watch three little girls and Andy. (He needs a lot of watching.) While the girls were occupied with painting their pumpkins, I took the opportunity to take Andy into his room for him to rest.

And while we're visiting Pop-pop, don't forget the Ice Cream Parlor!



Christy and her family arrived after the festivities, but then they added their own brand of fun. I'm glad Andy had that little rest because I was able to bring him out to the lobby for a mini-concert from the Lindsay kids (and Christy).


It's so interesting how children can find all kinds of ways to have fun together, like hanging backwards off the back of a backless couch.


 After a little time spent with Andy, we had to leave him and all went back to our house for a dinner together with the rest of the family. All our kids and grandkids were present - a house and table full (11 children and 7 adults!). The kids played and played, while the adults enjoyed good conversations and laughter.

It was a full and happy time for me, but I was pretty tired when they all left. In fact, I was so tired, I didn't even clean up except to run the dishwasher. That is pretty radical for me. 

On Sunday afternoon, I drove down to Sandy Cove Retreat Center in North East, Maryland for our staff retreat. I must have been tired because as I was driving, I was dealing with negative thoughts, on the verge of tears. I couldn't help but think that I was going to be with couples, that I was going to miss Andy sharing this weekend with me, etc. One thought led to another down the slippery slope, ending in fear, worry and distress. But even there in that state, I could sense the Lord ministering to me. He reminded me of verses I had recently read in Jeremiah 17:7-8:

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does NOT FEAR when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has NO WORRIES in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."

I felt my dark mood lift as I drove in on the road taking me to the conference center. I really had a good two days there with the people I work with. God has surrounded me with loving, caring people. Everyone made a special effort to sit with me at meals, listen to my concerns, cry with me and just be with me. Monday morning was dreary with rain, but by afternoon the rain was gone, and I was able to fit in a hike with one of my friends.


The beauty of the place was such balm for my soul, the sun sparkling on the water and the glorious sunsets - all the more spectacular after the gray and dreary day.






Sometimes you unwittingly fall into a happy experience. For the last two weeks or so, COHV (Care One Harmony Village) has been announcing their fall fashion show. It was scheduled for this past Friday. I didn't think much about it because I didn't think Andy would be interested and besides, what could he model? But then in talking to Dawn, she wanted to visit Andy on Friday. On a whim, I asked her if she wanted to be there for the Fashion Show. As I was talking to her about it, I had the idea to dress Andy up in his leather jacket. He always loved that jacket and got lots of comments whenever he wore it. One idea led to another...I took a pair of jeans, a black t-shirt and a pair of sunglasses, along with the jacket. I got to COHV a little before the start of the fashion show to get him dressed. He didn't seem too excited about a "fashion show" but as he walked out into the lobby with his black leather jacket and shades on, he got a lot of attention and good vibes. It was hard to get him to keep the glasses on, but he was a pretty good sport about it all.


He's actually smiling!

The whole show was really fun and heart warming. I am very impressed with the staff. They are genuine in the care of the residents. They helped the women and men walk the "red carpet," clapping and showering compliments on them all, whether they could walk or not. One lady loved the applause so much, she walked around three times! And she was applauded each time. Each "model" had their picture taken and made much of. They ate up the attention. Even people normally stone-faced and emotionally unresponsive were smiling, radiant and sparkly. Seeing them every evening, getting to know them a little and now observing them enjoy themselves in this activity, made me choke up. 

Andy was tired by the end of it all, but he humored Dawn and me by submitting to having his picture taken with us. Then he told us he had a wonderful time.



And the icing on the cake...a hike at Rancocas State Park with 3 friends yesterday. It was cloudy but not too cold nor too hot. Except for the humidity, it was a great day for a hike, especially with friends.



I'm so grateful for happy moments like these...gifts from our good God, who "has been mindful of the humble state of his servant" (Luke 1:48) and loves to give good gifts to his children (Matthew 7:11, Romans 8:32 and James 1:17).


But the best gift of all is our salvation, because of the cross. The Newsboys have a fairly new song that I have been listening to lately: The Cross Has the Final Word.


Evil may put up its strongest fight
The Savior has come with the morning light
He traded death for eternal life
The cross has the final word.

There's nothing stronger,

Nothing higher
Nothing greater than the name of Jesus
The cross has the final word.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Look at him smiling! He looks so good in that picture! I love it. :)