For another thing, I've had several instances of being able to spend time with family. I am grateful for my daughters and their families, who have been so supportive and comforting. I really don't feel alone, but that we're in this together.
My youngest sister lives in Maryland, only an hour and a half away from us here in Jersey. In spite of how close we live, I only see her once a year at our annual family July 4th picnic. And when we're together at our family picnic, we really don't get to talk much except superficial small talk. So it was a great pleasure that she decided to take a day off work last week in order to spend the day with me.
She arrived at 9:00 am and we headed out to Rancocas State Park (my go-to park this year!). It was somewhat cloudy and dreary, but at least it wasn't raining and we walked the blue trail along the Rancocas Creek - the whole 3.2 miles.
This sister is 8 years younger than me, with another sister and two brothers between us. I was the protective big sister while I was still living at home. But by the time she was in her teens, I was in college and away from home.
After our hike, we ate at a nearby restaurant.
While eating, we decided to do another hike. After not having Andy for my hiking partner these last couple of months, I felt like I was making up for lost time. Actually, my sister doesn't have the opportunity to do much hiking because her husband would prefer not to, plus she works a full 40 hours a week.
So after lunch we went to Black Run Preserve and hiked another 3 miles. By that time, the sun had come out and it was nice and warm.
My sister and I talked and talked and talked. I don't think we ran out of conversation even after being together all day. So it was a very nice day for me.
Another break came yesterday when I drove up to Lancaster County to spend some time with Amy and her family.
I don't think Amy has enough to do (canning, preserving, homeschooling 3 kids, running Chase to hockey practice, Etsy crocheting shop, etc.). Last week, she dyed her two white chickens. This one is Joanna's.
We had lunch together, then drove over to a nearby Rails to Trails path. She was dog sitting so we loaded up her Suburban, taking 2 dogs, 3 kids, roller blades, and a bike. It was another lovely day with the sun coming out occasionally but the temperature was just right.
The grandkids always like to measure themselves against me when we see them. They are so anxious to get taller than me. That's not much of a goal, though, since I'm shorter than just about everyone! When I first got to their house, Chase stood next to me, but I assured him he still had a looooong way to go! But this picture looks like he's just about there until Amy reminded me that he has his roller blades on - phew! After all, he's only 10. Either he's crazy tall for 10, or I'm shorter than I thought.
As we were leaving to go back to Amy's house, we came to a 4 way stop. The lady to our right had the right of way, but she wasn't paying attention. I observed that she was on her cell phone and told Amy to go ahead. When we got on the main road, there was a lot of traffic which was moving at a slow crawl. Amy looked in her rear view mirror and noticed the lady was right behind her and was still looking at her cell phone. Then Amy and I were talking about the last time she was down here with me and how there had been a minor accident where a school bus had rear ended another car that got pushed into Amy's front driver's side, doing a little damage. As we were remembering that incident, all of a sudden: BOOM! We were rear ended by the lady behind us. What a scare and a shock. Fortunately, we were all seat belted, but the dogs came flying up to the front. This accident was not a minor one. We were all physically ok, but the vehicles had significant damage. Amy's Suburban doesn't look too bad, but as she was driving it after the police gave the ok, there were a couple of dash lights on and Amy didn't think it felt "right." The lady who hit us was pretty shook up, said her chest hurt because her seat belt had not held her, and she had banged into her steering wheel. Her car had to be towed away.
I admit I was a little nervous about driving home after that. But the best antidote for getting thrown off a horse is to get back on. Right? I did make it home just fine. I'm grateful for the Lord's protection and safety in my travels on the turnpikes.
Andy's mom has been sick. She was taken to the hospital twice this week. We're not sure what's wrong, but she has a bad cough, so it could be possible pneumonia. With her being sick, her dementia is decidedly worse.
I admit I was a little nervous about driving home after that. But the best antidote for getting thrown off a horse is to get back on. Right? I did make it home just fine. I'm grateful for the Lord's protection and safety in my travels on the turnpikes.
Andy's mom has been sick. She was taken to the hospital twice this week. We're not sure what's wrong, but she has a bad cough, so it could be possible pneumonia. With her being sick, her dementia is decidedly worse.
So that added to the excitement around here this week. That's why it was so good of the Lord to provide some respite for my soul, spending time with my sister, then going away yesterday. Getting a break from the struggles and stresses you're dealing with helps to bring relief, if only temporarily.
My reading this week included The Broken Way by Ann Voskamp.

I had received a number of books for my birthday, that being one of them. I admit that although I had requested the book, I was not keen on the idea of brokenness and I saved that one for last.
But I'm glad I finally did read it because it ministered to my soul. Ann is a gifted writer and is so creative in the way she uses words to convey truth.
She reminded us in her book that:
"I am not the mistakes I have made; I am the righteousness He has made. I am not the plans I have failed; I am the perfectness He has finished. I am not the wrongs I have done; I am the faultlessness He has been. I am not the sins I have chosen; I am chosen by the Beloved, regardless of my sins. In Christ I am chosen, accepted, justified, anointed, sealed, forgiven, redeemed, complete, free, Christ's friend, God's child, the Spirit's home...My value is defined by the One who said, 'It is finished.' And who achieved it all." (page 193)
Thank God, my worth does not depend on me.
I had received a beautiful hand made dish by a potter some time ago. But one day, when I opened a cupboard door above this dish, something fell out and onto the dish which broke it. I couldn't bear to throw it away, and my friend advised me to keep it to remind me of my own brokenness.
And it is a good reminder. Yes, I am broken. But one day I will be made whole. I won't be old and broken any more.
Revelation 21:5 ~ "He who was seated on the throne said, 'I am making everything new!' Then he said, 'Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.'"
1 comment:
That's so nice you got to spend some quality time with Aunt Toot. Glad you are enjoying the book too. I got it out of the library and started it, but didn't finish before it needed to get back. I really liked what I read so far!
Post a Comment