Sunday, February 5, 2017

As much fun as it is to have all the grandkids together - all in one place, it's hard to spend any one-on-one time with them since they're more interested in playing with each other. That's good because it's happy to see them enjoying their cousins. But years ago, when the kids began coming fast and furiously, we decided to start the tradition of having each child over to spend the night and the next day on their birthdays. This has been a lot of fun over the years but because of Andy's illness and all the care he required from me, we had to suspend that tradition all last year.

Now that Andy's being cared for by Care One Harmony Village, I decided if the kids wanted to, I'd like to have them over again this year. I wasn't sure how the boys would feel about that since their Poppop wouldn't be here. After all, he was a lot of fun and would ride the bikes with the boys, set up a target and shoot the bb gun or the bows and arrows. Would the boys be happy spending the time with me??? 

I floated the idea and question to Christy, and there was no hesitation from Asher. His birthday is the first in the year, and he was so excited about the prospect of coming over to Grammy's house. He made up his list of what he wanted to do while here with me.



I'm glad he included "go to sleep" on the list! We had a wonderful time together, watching a movie, playing games, eating ice cream (this was an extra not on the list)




and taking a hike.







After lunch we went over to visit with Andy. Asher played a few pieces on the piano for him and the other residents who happened to be out in the lobby.
 

We had a wonderful time. Asher said it "was the best birthday ever!" And it was a marvelous break from the routine of my life - a definite bright spot.

Asher had requested strawberry pie for his dessert, rather than a cake. I offered to make it but wasn't too happy with the way it turned out the previous time I had made it. Then a couple days before, I saw an idea that I thought might work better, making a shortbread crust instead of a regular pie crust. That actually worked out really well for a couple of reasons. One pie for all of us just isn't enough unless you cut the slices really small and thr shortbread crust was enough for a 9x13 pan. Another is that a shortbread crust would taste better (butter and sugar - yum!). It was a hit! Strawberries any time are a treat, but especially in January!




And make sure you slather lots of whipped cream on top!

  
Making a wish and blowing out the candles.
 


I was very thankful for the lovely beginning to the week. 

Andy was admitted to the memory care facility as a 30 day respite patient. After the first 30 days, he rolled over into another 30 days while I tried to nail down my finances and how I was going to pay for his care. By Wednesday, I was ready to submit the application. When I did so, I was given a sheet with what I owed. I was a little unprepared for the shock of one-time, first month fees. So early Thursday morning, I had to call my financial agent to let him know I needed more money and how much. After work, he gave me a call to inform me I needed to sign some documents, then fax them to NWM for them to release the money I needed. I also needed to go to my bank to move some money around to keep my checks to Care One from bouncing until NWM got the money into my accounts. 

All this was on my mind...yes, I was very distracted. So as I got in my car to take care of these details, I forgot to open the garage door before I backed out. Ugh! Now I'm stuck and can't go anywhere. Fortunately, Andy's brother was here at the house with his mom and dad. I had to eat humble pie and ask Dan and his dad to see if they could open the garage door so I could get out. They worked on the door for about an hour to disassemble it before they were able to get it open. It was very bent and out of whack. 

Another fortunate detail is that I know someone from church who repairs garage doors. This is thanks to Andy who knew lots of people and their abilities and expertise. So I called him to tell him what I did and could he help. He said that would be easy to fix and he would come over to assess what needed to be done. After he was here, he said it wasn't as easy as what he thought and would require a little more - but it could be fixed. He is working on it right now and it's looking good!

It's hard to know how to answer people when they ask how Andy's doing. It's very meaningful to me that people ask - it's an indication that they care. The difficulty in answering, though, is that sometimes he's doing pretty well and other times, pretty bad. One day last week, he didn't feel well at all. He had diarrhea and severe tremors in his hand. Because of the tremors, he wasn't going to eat, so I fed him. 

The next night I visited, he was fixated on needing to call JH, with whom he had worked 20 years ago. He was determined he needed to talk to him about a project they were working on and was upset that someone was stealing from the job. I tried to distract him and tell him I would call JH later. But he was insistent that he needed to talk to him now. I finally got firm and said, "Andy, I'm not going to call JH." Then he was fine and dropped the subject. He was obviously anxious about this, though, and it was weighing on him because he had a hard time concentrating on my reading to him the rest of the evening. 

Another night, he told me with tears in his eyes, "I just want to go and be with Jesus." I agreed with him that that would be wonderful, then I played him a song I had recently purchased on itunes:

Soon
 Soon and very soon
My King is coming
Robed in righteousness and crowned with love
When I see Him
I shall be made like Him
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
I’ll be going
To the place He has prepared for me
There my sin erased
My shame forgotten
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon

Soon and very soon
See the procession
The angels and the elders 'round the throne
At His feet I’ll lay my crowns My worship
Soon and very soon

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon

Though I have not seen Him
My heart knows Him well
Jesus Christ the Lamb
The Lord of heaven

I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon
   2010 Hillsong Church T A Hillsong Music Australia  

I have been playing this song to myself once or twice (sometimes more) every day and it has really ministered to me to think of being with Jesus soon - the One I love. I'm so glad I was able to play it for Andy.

This month is our biggest month for birthdays. Asher's was Jan. 31 (almost Feb.), then Cole's is Feb. 1, Dawn's is Feb. 3, Kasey's is Feb. 8, Christy's is Feb. 11 and mine is Feb. 13. So of course, we had to celebrate. Everyone was able to come down yesterday for a meal together. We served two kinds of soups, homemade rolls, with carrot cake and ice cream. The kids had a lovely time playing together and the adults enjoyed conversation around the table. It was a great ending to a long day for me. 

My Saturdays tend to be pretty long. I get a lot done, but then it's done and I'm not sure what to do the rest of the day. After a while, I'm tired of reading, one or two games of Scrabble is enough, laundry is done...what else is there? So having a house full of kids and family is a perfect distraction. I no longer feel alone or lonely, and my house is far from quiet!



 
The Birthday People
I've been reading to Andy every night when I visit him. I started reading through the Psalms. I don't think he always understands what I'm reading. Sometimes he seems to, but other times he interrupts me with whatever he's "working" on. But I'm hoping that there are bits that sometimes sink in and register with him and bring him comfort. If not him, at the least, I'm gaining some comfort myself.

Tonight I was reading Psalm 46. "God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging." (verses 1-3)

In Pastor's sermon this morning, he mentioned that the most often repeated command in Scripture is, "Don't be afraid," or "fear not." I remember him saying this in previous sermons, and it's a good reminder. God doesn't just give us this command and leave it at that, but he follows it up with, "for I am with you." 

And later in Psalm 46, the psalmist tells us to "Be still and know that I am God..." (verse 10) and in verse 11: "The Lord Almighty is with us." The great God who created the universe, then stooped down to shower us with his love and grace in the person of Jesus, His Son - that God is with me, guiding, directing, going with me every step of the way.

No comments: