Last Tuesday on our day off, Dawn came over and went on a bike ride with Andy. I watched Kira while they were out. Here she is with all the dolls I have in the house. After she left, I had to throw one of them away because it had seen better days. When she was littler, she had chewed a hole in the hat and torn off one of the legs. Then this time, the doll lost an arm. I guess I could have sent her to the doll hospital, but I'm not the nurse/doctor type, even for fake people!
We decided to have a sprinkler system installed in our yard. We have so many bushes, perennials, flowers that need to be watered all summer long. This requires a lot of time spent every day when it's extra hot making sure that nothing dies. Then when we go on vacation for 2 weeks mid-summer, we either have to pay someone to water for us or worry the whole time we're gone about our dear gardens. So in preparation for the sprinkler system being installed, Andy cut down 2 dogwood trees on the edge of our property. I know it seems a crime to cut down dogwoods, but they were old, had lots of dead branches on them and were in the way of some of the sprinkler heads we needed to put in. My consolation was that we can plant new stuff there, maybe more dogwoods or forsythia or...
One down
It was a different feeling to have someone else do the work. It seems like every time we do a project, Andy is doing it. But this one involved a lot of digging and would have taken him days. The contractor we hired had machinery and a crew that did the work in a day and a half. So it was worth it. The sprinklers come on every other day for 10 minutes.
The Terhune Orchards in Princeton was a fun place to be on Saturday. We got there as it opened at 10:00 and beat the crowds. There was lots to do:
milk the cow
Farmer Andy!
ride Poppop's back
eat cider donuts
ride the pony
ride the John Deere tricycle
see how tall you are
look at the goats
walk the maze
We also took a wagon ride and picked some apples. We stayed till around 12:30. It was great fun and a beautiful day to be outside.That evening we went with our singles group to Pitch and Putt. I have never been good at sports or athletics, but Andy, who is very good at those, gave me some pointers. No one could believe how good I did at the golfing, especially me! Andy's score was 63 and I had a 69!
And of course, we had to go out to eat afterwards. There just happened to be an Applebee's across the street from the golf place.
Andy's mom and dad went to the shore on Saturday and are there for 3 weeks. So since Sunday was such a beautiful day, Andy and I packed our bags and drove down to enjoy the shore. We stayed overnight and all Monday morning. It is such a restful, relaxing place to be, it is easy to feel your troubles all melt away (not that I have any troubles!). There's no compulsion to get up and tend the laundry, clean up the dishes, mow the lawn, whatever - just sit and veg!
the waves were huge
I'm not sure what triggered the thought, but I got this idea for making peach cobbler. I know it's a little late in the season, but Andy loves peaches and I hardly ever make anything using them. So on the way home from the shore yesterday, we stopped at several fruit stands asking for peaches. The third place we stopped finally had some white peaches. I found a great recipe on the internet (Paula Deen) and voila:
It was the most delicious peach cobbler I have ever eaten. How's that for dramatic!
We were scheduled to go to Morris Arboretum today but because of the forecasted rain and storms, we are postponing till next week.
Our life is full and blessed, which gives me lots to write about.
























2 comments:
I bet it was the most fattening peach cobbler ever topic it was Paula Dean :P
I LOVE the picture of you golfing, you're so cute :)
* ever HAD IF
Post a Comment