Spring is making the attempt. It's still chilly, but the flowers are starting to bloom and the trees are budding.
My yard work was hanging over my head. There was so much to do and I finally had some time and energy to get out there. I spent all Saturday morning raking little sticks and branches into piles, then bagging them and getting them to the street. It felt good to be out there working, but I have to admit, I'm pretty sore and tired today. There is still more to do, but I'm happy to be well on my way.
I didn't have a lot of appointments this week, but I did some babysitting on Friday evening so Dawn could get a little time out. Earlier in the week, I drove Tommy to the Atlantic City airport for his flight to Nicaragua and a week of surfing.
This coming week I have an appointment with my attorney to work on the Medicaid application for Andy. I'm a little nervous about that, but am excited at the same time. Hopefully, I will get some closure on that process and be able to submit the application soon.
Visits with Andy remain difficult. I never know what to expect. One night he can lie down on the bed when I take him to his room, then peacefully fall asleep. The next night, he will be restless, pacing around the room, and even leaving while I'm still there. A couple of times this week, I read the story of David and Goliath to him. Yesterday, when I finished the chapter, he commented, "That is a really good story." Sometimes I understand what he is saying, but most of the time, I don't. And he "talks" constantly. I've learned to either make agreeable noises (uh-huh, oh really? oh, that's good, etc.) or to tell him it's all taken care of and he doesn't need to worry about it.
I'm reading through Be Still, My Soul again. The book is a compilation of different authors' articles on suffering. The sub-title of of the book is: "Embracing God's Purpose and Provision in Suffering." When you're in the middle of suffering, it's so helpful and comforting to be reminded that God does have a purpose in what we're going through. Chapter 17 is written by Donald A. Carson, who is a Research Professor of New Testament at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He wrote about dying well. He says "we are all under sentence of death; we are all terminal cases." It's hard for us in America to think like this because so many of us live the "good life." We can pretty much buy whatever we want and if we get sick, there are so many medications for doctors to prescribe. But really, we're not living in the real world if we don't face our mortality. Dr. Carson asks: "Is not some of the pain and sorrow in this life used in God's providential hand to make us homesick for heaven?" I know that has helped direct my thoughts a lot toward heaven. Are you kidding? Who wouldn't be eager to live a life of "no more sickness, no more tears, no more death"?
Revelation 21:4 ~ "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
Dr. Carson makes the point that the "time of death becomes far less daunting a factor when seen in the light of eternity. Although death remains a formidable opponent, it is, from another perspective, the portal through which we pass to consummated life. We pass through death, and death dies."
I don't know that I ever thought of death in that way, but it is so true. Death will die. It will never happen again when we are in heaven. Everyone dies...but only once. Jesus conquered death by his resurrection, and so we too will have victory over death. We will pass from death to life.
2 Corinthians 5:4 ~ ..."what is mortal will be swallowed up in life." I love that picture! Life is more powerful than death, like light is more powerful than darkness. Even a small candle can pierce the darkness.
Isaiah 25:8 ~ "He will swallow up death forever. The Sovereign Lord will wipe away the tears from all faces..."
1 Corinthians 15:54-56 ~ "When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immorality, then the saying that is written will come true: 'Death has been swallowed up in victory.' 'Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O Death, is your sting?' The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."
This is our hope. Some day all this suffering and heartache will be over and we'll be forever with our Lord and Savior.
1 Thessalonians 4:17b-18 ~ "And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words."
No comments:
Post a Comment