(J.C. Ryle, quoted in If God is Good by Randy Alcorn)
What a week this has been. It started out with Amy and the kids coming down again, this time to leave Joanna with me for her overnight birthday treat. We did a quick visit with Andy at Care One, quick because after only a few minutes, he got up and said he had to go on to something else. Maybe I should have taken the hint that he might not be feeling well, but he had dismissed his visitors before this, and I really just thought it was part of his disease to lose interest and not understand that we were there to see him.
So Joanna and I went to our house and settled in to having dinner, playing in the driveway with her new birthday toy from her parents, and then the usual movie and ice cream together.
The next morning turned out really nice and beautiful after a night of rain. I thought we should probably go hiking as soon as possible while the humidity was low and the temperature cool. I made sure to spray both Joanna and myself with bug spray to keep the mosquitoes off, and away we went - to the Rancocas State Park again. What an enjoyable hike it was, too. Each grandchild I've gone with this year has been such a wonderful treat for me. Their conversations are entertaining and revealing - they are amazingly knowledgeable about a variety of subjects, they are observant of nature and things around them, and they are all fun to be with. I wasn't sure if Joanna could walk a full 3 miles, but she was a trooper the whole trail, keeping up with me the entire time.
We went back home and I got Joanna started watching a video, while I planned to get a load of laundry done. I was just settling in to watch it with her when I got a call from Care One. The nurse said she felt Andy needed to be admitted to the hospital because he had fainted and his blood pressure was extremely low. She asked me if I wanted him admitted. I guess she had to get my permission. I had heard that each time an Alzheimer's patient goes to the hospital, it makes their disease progress a little more and they usually don't come back to the level they were before the hospital stay. So when she asked my permission, I hemmed and hawed - just feeling overwhelmed - what is the right decision, what if I do the wrong thing? I had the presence of mind to ask the nurse if anyone would be going with him. She told me that he would be transported and the people going with him would take him to the E.R. but they would not be staying with him. I knew I needed to be there to help with the admissions process because he couldn't answer all the questions they would be asking him. But now I'm really in a fix because neither can I leave Joanna at home alone.
But God already was working on my behalf to solve this problem. As I was trying to figure out what to do, I noticed that Dan's car was in the driveway. Dan is Andy's brother who comes over several times a week to hang out with his mom and dad. As I explained the situation to Dan and his parents, they immediately gave ideas on what to do. Dan was able to drive Joanna to Dawn's house where she played with her cousins the rest of the day, and I was able to go to the hospital to take care of Andy.
I got to the hospital in good time, he was still in the hallway waiting to be assigned to a room in the E.R. I was so relieved. It wasn't long before lab work was returned with the diagnosis of a UTI. This was so confusing to me because he was already on medication for this very thing. Apparently the antibiotic he was on wasn't strong enough to kill the bacteria that was infecting him.
Andy was put on IV fluids and antibiotics. I stayed with him till he was settled in his room, met with the nurse assigned to him - until I was sure he was going to be all right. I returned in the evening for another couple of hours. So the next few days included runs to the hospital, working a couple of hours here and there, and doing some necessary things at home.
On Wednesday evening while there, Dawn stopped by to visit, too. When she walked in the room, she asked Andy how he was doing. He didn't hesitate, but answered, "I'm having a ball." Really??? Actually, I think he was pleased to be getting the attention from the nurses and me. And subconsciously perhaps, he knew his UTI was being addressed.
I thought his hospital stay would be longer so was pleasantly surprised when the doctor informed us on Thursday that he would be discharged that day. They were going to switch from IV antibiotic to oral medicine and triple the dosage he had been taking prior to Tuesday.
So by Thursday afternoon, he was back at Care One. I went to visit as usual that evening and he seemed to be doing well enough.
Friday and Saturday were pleasant relief from the cares and anxiety of Andy in the hospital. A son of a staff member got married on Friday afternoon and I had planned to attend the wedding. I was so glad I did. I went with a friend, and there were many of our church friends who were in attendance. I felt so loved and supported by everyone. It was so nice to have something happy to focus on. Plus, it was a blessing to witness a wedding that was so beautiful, lovely and God-honoring. At the reception, watching the radiant happiness of the bride and groom, I was picturing the marriage supper of Jesus and us, his bride in heaven some day. What a wonderful day that will be. My heart was filled with joy at the thought.
When I got home later that evening, I was in the process of relaxing and getting ready for bed when I got a call from Care One. The nurse told me that Andy seemed to be having a reaction to the medication he was on. (No wonder - triple the dosage???) His hands were all swollen and red, she said, and thought it would be best to stop the medicine. She said she would be in contact with the doctor. Somehow, I don't think stopping the medicine completely is going to take care of his problem. I plan to make some calls tomorrow.
I went in to see him on Saturday morning. He was pretty flat line, so I didn't stay very long. He had gotten a shower and it looked like he was being cared for (which is what I was interested in knowing).
Every year, my family has a big get together in Berks County at my brother's home. My brothers and sisters and as many of our children as can make it are invited to be there. We usually do the party on the Saturday closest to July 4th. I went to Dawn and Tommy's and let them drive the two hours. This was a big help for me because I was pretty tired out from the week's stress and activities.
My nephew brings his food truck, parks it on the property and serves us all. This year there were over 80 people who came to the picnic. He is a professional chef and the food is amazing.

Mid-afternoon, we got rained on. Even sitting under pavilions we got wet because the rain was so heavy. I happened to be sitting at the edge of one of those pavilions and my back was soaked the rest of the day. The kids didn't mind, though. A huge slip and slide was set up for them and they had a ball on that. If you don't believe that the slip and slide was anything special, check out the video links:
https://www.facebook.com/wendell.yoder.7/videos/1370012179715430/
https://www.facebook.com/tsherf/videos/10159080818435245/
Later, the sun came out and all the kids (big and little) jumped in the pool. Tommy took over as organizer of the kids, coming up with all kinds of contests for them. There was quite a line of them waiting their turn!
A great time was had by all.
At church today, people were asking me how things were going. As I told them about my week with Andy, I had to add that even in the middle of intense, crazy things we don't expect, God still gives us moments of joy. It's a joy unspeakable and full of glory because if we keep our eyes on Jesus and trust him in the circumstance, we will not be overwhelmed by those circumstances.
I was reading to Andy tonight from Hebrews 3 and 4. The final verses of chapter 4 tell us that Jesus is our great high priest. He has been tempted in every way, just as we are --yet without sin. Because he was tempted as we are, he can sympathize with us in our own weaknesses. He knows how it feels:
- to be exhausted
- discouraged with the hopelessness of the situation
- concerned with the illness of loved ones
- burdened down with the unknown
- lonely
- desiring for the hard thing to be taken away
There's a place where mercy reigns and never dies
There's a place where streams of grace flow deep and wide
Where all the love I've ever found comes like a flood
Comes flowing down
At the cross, at the cross
I surrender my life
I'm in awe of You, I'm in awe of You
Where Your love ran red and my sin washed white
I owe all to You, I owe all to You, Jesus
There's a place where sin and shame are powerless
Where my heart has peace with God and forgiveness
Where all the love I've ever found
Comes like a flood, comes flowing down
Here my hope is found
Here on holy ground
Here I bow down, here I bow down
Here arms open wide
Here You save my life
Here I bow down, here I bow
At The Cross, Writer(s): Matt Armstrong, William R. Newell, Jenna Cowart, Benji Cowart





1 comment:
Dearest Phyllis.....I learned of your blog thru a post that Mary Hall posted on FB. I just finished reading your blog and your and Andy's journey starting from 2012. I am at a loss for words. My heart is heavy yet joyous at the same time. I'm truly sad that you have and are going thru this at the same time I'm joyous that you consistently go to Jesus with your cares. I believe you and Andy, both, will have the most beautiful crowns to lay at the feet of Jesus! You have proven with your actions that you are truly a Proverbs 31 woman. You have a wonderful Man of God in Andy. You have a beautiful family! I just love your home and your gardens that you have tended over the years. I admire you for all your "nature walks" and the joy they bring to you. I'm impressed and thank you for your reading and sharing what you read. It is such an encouragement. I enjoyed reading how God has surrounded you with friends that love you dearly and show it by helping you. From the first time I heard about Andy's illness a few days ago, the Lord has placed a true and deep desire to pray for you both daily. I will pray for a hedge of warring angels to surround you. I will pray for the Holy Spirit to give you peace, comfort and direction.
May the Lord continue to bless you and keep you!
In Christ,
Brianna
(You knew me as Renae Dancho. I am divorced and have since remarried, hence my new last name of Oxford. I changed my name to Brianna Renae (long story)).
Post a Comment