Since Andy has been attending The Tender, I've also been involved with the caregivers support group that meets twice a month - a room full of spouses, sons and daughters with loved ones who have dementia. We share common sadness as we watch our loved ones decline, but in all the times we've been together, I've not seen anyone express despair. We share our frustrations, yes, but we also laugh together at what we are going through. This has been amazing to me and I've been cogitating and trying to understand how we all cope (Christian or not).
When Paul was preaching to the Greek pagans on Mars Hill, he shared this beautiful truth: "In HIM, we live and move and have our being." (Acts 17:28) And there you have it...no one can make it without the Lord. They may not know it, but the Lord is working on their behalf. Here are more verses that speak to that:
"The LORD is good to ALL; he has compassion on ALL he has made." Psalm 145:9
"The Lord is...loving toward ALL he has made." Psalm 145:13
"The Lord upholds ALL those who fall and lifts up ALL who are bowed down." Psalm 145:14
And then there's the verse in the Sermon on the Mount where Jesus tells us that our Father "causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous." (Matthew 5:45)
Everyone benefits from the goodness, love, mercy and grace of the Lord. He is a good God to all his creatures.
Of course, it is much more meaningful to know the Lord and be comforted by his Word and his presence. To have a relationship with him makes the trial so much more bearable. Identifying with Jesus in his sufferings, knowing it's all for a purpose, trusting in his wisdom, grace and love for his children are all truths that lift us up out of our dark times.
This week I pulled Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl off our shelf to read again.

I don't believe this man is a Christian, but God obviously gave him some amazing insights into human nature and suffering that he speaks to in this book. Frankl lived through the Holocaust in a concentration camp and wrote about his experiences and those of his fellow prisoners.
Some of the things he writes that I resonate with:
"Suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little." So true. I've been quite discouraged at times by some of the mistakes I've been making at work - probably just because my mind is so completely filled with my suffering. I'm so distracted. Frankl's statement put words to what I've been feeling. What I am going through is consuming me. It's all I think about, literally day and night. I'm not saying this to excuse my errors. It's just reality. I hate making mistakes, but thankfully, I believe in the sovereignty of God who uses our weaknesses to teach us truths about Himself and ourselves.
Yesterday as I was sitting in my chair, reading, with Andy sitting silently beside me, I decided to go ahead and just read out loud to see if it would have any meaning to Andy. The section I was reading was so appropriate for our situation and I really think Andy grasped the significance, even if only for the moment.
"When a man finds that it is his destiny to suffer, he will have to accept his suffering as his task; his single and unique task. He will have to acknowledge the fact that even in suffering he is unique and alone in the universe. No one can relieve him of his suffering or suffer in his place. His unique opportunity lies in the way in which he bears his burden."
At that point in the reading, I paused to explain to Andy that he was doing a good job of accepting his task and doing it well. Understanding that there is a purpose to our suffering can keep us from despair. Then to add the spiritual element, I reminded him of Romans 15:13 - "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."
For we do not sorrow as those who have no hope. We have an anchor for our souls: Jesus, in us, the hope of glory! (1 Thessalonians 4:13, Hebrews 6:19, Colossians 1:27)
I've been thinking that the next time we had a nice day, we should go back over to Palmyra Cove and enjoy the river. Yesterday was such a day. The sky was so blue. I know I've said it enough times to be boring, but I LOVE BLUE SKIES! And it won't be the last time I say it.
We didn't walk much but enjoyed sitting by the river watching the bridge traffic and a few boats speeding along.
And then today a friend came over to spend the morning with Andy while I went to church. This is the kind of friend who took Andy for a ride, then stopped at Johnson's Corner Farm where they had ice cream for lunch!
And another friend shared with me a song that she thought I would enjoy:
Soon by Hillsong
Soon and very soon
My King is coming
Robed in righteousness and crowned with love
When I see Him
I shall be made like Him
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon
I’ll be going
To the place He has prepared for me
There my sin erased
My shame forgotten
Soon and very soon
I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon
See the procession
The angels and the elders 'round the throne
At His feet I’ll lay my crowns My worship
Soon and very soon
I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Though I have not seen Him
My heart knows Him well
Jesus Christ the Lamb
The Lord of heaven
I will be with the One I love
With unveiled face I’ll see Him
There my soul will be satisfied
Soon and very soon
Soon and very soon
Thanking God for little pleasures yesterday, today and every day!
No comments:
Post a Comment