Sunday, July 10, 2016

4th of July & Lord of the Rings

It was a different kind of week with the holiday on Monday. I worked a little on Sunday afternoon since I wouldn't be in the office until Wednesday and the work doesn't go away. It's always there waiting for me. 

On the 4th of July, Andy and I drove up to Berks County for the Yoder family picnic - an annual event. This year, my sister and her son did all the cooking and food prep - and wow! My nephew, Keith, is a professional chef and caters many huge events, sometimes feeding several thousand people at a time. He buys the food, hires the workers and prepares the meals. He just finished at a golf tournament in Pennsylvania a week or so ago.

He recently bought his own trailer fully equipped kitchen, then offered to cater our picnic this year. Wow and wow! Wouldn't that be nice if he did this every year. I doubt anyone would complain. The food was outstanding.
 
 
  


 

 














  



























My sister kept saying she was in her happy place. She loves cooking and baking so we were happy to let her be there. We're all hoping this is a new tradition.

Andy did well while we were there, interacting with people and having a good time. The next day he said he had met some really nice people, then couldn't finish his thought. I asked him if he meant when we were at the picnic, and he said, "yes, they were so nice." I told him, "Thanks, they were my relatives." Then we had a good laugh (although I'm not sure he got it!).

I was talking to one of my daughters today who said that everyone thought Andy was doing well, he seemed like he knew who everyone was, etc. But she told them, he is a good faker. So true. He tries really hard when we're with other people. Of course, he is a people person, always very interested in them. He often calls people by their name which, I think is another surprise. But if anyone would engage him in a long conversation, I think they'd soon see what I deal with. And later, if I question him about the conversation he had with someone, he has no clue what I'm talking about.

Sometimes I question his diagnosis, as well, but as soon as I do, he'll ask me how long I'm staying, or how many children I have, etc.  

On Tuesday, we had an appointment with an attorney to sign an advanced medical directive. When I made the appointment, the lawyer said Andy needed to be able to sign his own name. I told her he could, although it would be very illegible because of his tremors. She said that would be ok. He also needed to be able to name his children since they would be in the document. When I told him that, he couldn't do it. He named one, then wanted to include one of our sons-in-law. So I made him practice over the weekend until our appointment. He got it right, although, she didn't ask him to say their names. She showed him the document with the three girls listed and asked him if those were his daughters. He looked at the paper for a while but finally agreed that they were. Whew!

Four days this week, Andy went to The Tender - the Alzheimer's respite care center. What a godsend this is. He wasn't sure about it at first, but finally admitted to me on Friday that he really likes going there, the people are really good people. I can't tell you what a relief this is for me. To know that he is being watched, taken care of, having interaction with others, doing activities that are fun and interesting - as well as being a break for me. Thank you, Lord. And this is all free! The center receives grants (I'm not sure from where - maybe from Alzheimer's.org). They ask people to help donate water, snacks - and I gladly bought a whole shopping bag full of goodies to take to them tomorrow.

It got pretty hot and humid this week so I stayed indoors as much as I could. By dinner time, though, I was pretty tired of being in air conditioning all day, so it was a good time to go out to water some of my new plants and make sure that everything was doing all right.

My coneflowers are beginning to bloom, lots of buds.


Today turned out to be really pleasant so after church, we took a little drive over to a local park and walked along Strawbridge Lake in Moorestown. It's a suburban park but the road by the lake is one way and doesn't get much traffic. We meandered along enjoying the day and the lake on one side and the lovely houses on the other side.


Andy was watching Lord of the Rings today while I was on the computer in the same room with him. It is such a good story. There are certain lines in the film that are very meaningful and remind me of biblical truth.

Gandalf is teaching Frodo about Gollum and his role in the ring saga. Frodo wonders why Gandalf has allowed Gollum to live after all the horrible deeds he has committed. Frodo says Gollum deserves death. Then Gandalf says:

"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance of it. And he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill, before the end..."
 


I compare this statement with my situation and the role Alzheimer's will play in our lives. I do wish that Alzheimer's would die...I wish it had never happened to my dear hubbie. But who knows what role it will play yet in our own lives. I do know these things already: it has thrown me into the arms of Jesus, it has shown me my own inadequacy in dealing with life at this point, it has shown me how much I need Jesus to take care of us, it has shown me in so many ways how much God loves me and is providing for our every need.

Another quote I really like from the Lord of the Rings trilogy is when the Lady Galadriel gave Frodo a small crystal phial. She told him: "In this phial is caught the light of Earendil's star, set amid the waters of my fountain. It will shine still brighter when night is about you. May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out."
 
Of course, my light in dark places is the precious Word of God. How it speaks to my heart and gives hope and light in my darkest nights.

Psalm 119:105 - "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path."

Jesus is both the Word and the Light. 

John 1:1,2 4-5 - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it."

1 comment:

Christy said...

I love it! Such great quotes!