This is what makes the weather such an interesting topic and what everyone talks about every day. And where do you suppose that saying came from: "as changeable as the weather"?
I vividly remember when we moved from Richland, Washington in March, 1986. I was excited to move back to the east in spring. I packed my suitcase with short sleeves and summer clothes, which was a big mistake because it was a very cold and wet spring when we arrived here. I had to wait a whole week for Andy and the U-Haul to arrive with the rest of my clothes. Brrr!
We had no appointments on Tuesday this past week, but the wind was so fierce that we didn't venture outside. Andy had a couple of rough mornings. I'm not sure what brought it on, if anything, but he was very sad on Monday and Tuesday mornings. He said things that I had a hard time understanding. He thought we needed to spend more time as a family. He seemed to think everyone was going in all different directions. I tried to explain to him that our daughters were grown up and had their own families. But it was hard to bring him out of that confusion. Almost by accident, maybe in desperation, I found something that helped. I have a number of songs on my phone that I've bought. So I told him, "Let's just listen to some music."
That seemed to help and quiet his spirit. After a couple of songs with uplifting words and turning our thoughts to the Lord, he thanked me and said he felt better.
One day this week, he had his wallet out and was taking out the cards and notes he keeps there. When I asked him what he was looking for, he said someone had taken all his money. I didn't think that was the case, so I asked him to let me look. His money was all there, he hadn't looked in the pocket where he kept it.
Another thing he's been talking about lately, or trying to talk about, is to get together with a "group" to work on a project. He will start talking, but lose his thought in the middle of the sentence, then try again, but unable to finish or express his thought. I try to understand and help, but it's usually so far out there or confused, that I just don't understand. He's done that several times this week. One of those times, I just agreed with him and told him it was a good idea. Then he thanked me for understanding. Hmmm...well, I didn't understand, but it eased his mind and he left the conversation.
Yesterday he asked me what my last name was. I told him it was Wallin. Then his comment was that there sure were a lot of Wallins around.
Another day he asked me to tell him my history. I started by saying that we were married 42 years ago. He thought that was very interesting.
There really are too many conversations and situations to remember. Every day is an adventure around here. In some ways, I feel like I need to watch his every move. When we decided to have some ice cream, he put his bowl in the toaster oven instead of the microwave. (I zap the ice cream 10 seconds and he was going to do the same!)
I have decided I need to supervise his lunch every day. He can't seem to do that simple task that he's done for himself the last 19 years. I work on Mondays and Thursdays from 8:00 - 3:00, so he has been getting his own lunch on those days as he was accustomed to doing. But the one day, when I got home, I saw dishes in the sink, but not a plate. So I knew he had been confused as to where the plate was and used a casserole dish for his lunch.
This evening at dinner, he asked me when I would be heading back. I said I wasn't leaving. Then a little later, he asked me if I was spending the night.
I've been waiting on the Lord to lead me to another book to read to continue to engage my mind and heart on his thoughts. On the recommendation of a friend, I bought a new book, The Rest of the Gospel, by Dan Stone and Greg Smith.

I have only read the introduction so far, but I'm already challenged by how he explains Ephesians 1. We are not the center of the universe, the Son is. It's not about me, but all about Jesus. It's true that we experience all the blessings of being God's children, being showered by the riches of his grace. But "we are the beneficiaries of that plan. God, in his love and grace, has made us a part of his plan. But we are not the center of it; Christ is. We are participants in the plan, participants God loves and cherishes and nourishes, as a husband does his bride."
"We are God's inheritance. We tend to focus on what we inherit in Christ, but the greater truth is that we are His inheritance: 'I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know...what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints.' (Ephesians 1:18)"
I like that God-centered emphasis.
As fickle as spring weather can be, Friday happened to be beautiful with temperatures in the 70's and a sunny, blue sky. We went over to Boundary Creek and walked the trail. It's a fairly short and easy trail, but it was so nice to be out in nature.
And now, today, we're cabin bound again with strong, gusty winds. We're only at the beginning of April, so it's inevitable that the weather will turn warmer eventually...I hope!
No comments:
Post a Comment