Because of the short work week, I was a little pressed to get all my work done - four days of work squeezed into two. It was worth the extra effort, though, to be able to enjoy a long weekend with family.
I spent Tuesday making a batch of homemade rolls to be able to take along on Thursday. On Wednesday after work, I made a cherry pie, also to take along on Thursday, where we spent the day with Andy's brother and sister-in-law in Springfield, PA. We were trying to figure out how long we had been spending Thanksgiving Day with the Wallin side. It had to be at least 25 years or maybe even more. When our kids were little, growing up, of course they always joined us. But now that they have their own families, we have to sometimes share them with their in-laws. So this year, only Amy, Ricky and their kids were able to be with us at Dan & Lou's. But even Dan's kids weren't all with us. Only two of their five sons joined us for the day.
Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, is our traditional family get-together with our daughters and their families. Unfortunately, this year Dawn and Kira was sick, so they couldn't be with us. Tommy stopped by with Kasey long enough to pick up his panzarattis and say hi. It was sad not having Dawn with us, but it was nice of her not to share her germs with the rest of us.
After our lunch, we all went over to Rancocas State Park for another tradition - holiday hike. We started out on the 3.2 mile loop but had to turn around after only going a mile because it was getting late. Both families live in PA and have to take into account travel time getting home.
We still had fun being together, though, and got some good pictures. It was a nice warm day, spring like. Nearly all the leaves were down, so there was lots of brown but the kids added splotches of color on the trail!
When I saw Tommy on Friday, I asked him if he would have time to clean our gutters on Saturday. I shamelessly bribed him with a batch of cookies, even allowing him to choose the kind he wanted. So Saturday morning...oatmeal scotchies! He got the whole batch all to himself. I wonder if he shared with his family!!
When he came over Saturday afternoon, he brought Kira and Kasey with him. I was hoping he would because being home all day, I was ready for some activity. Kira likes to go next door to play on the trampoline with our neighbor kids. The little girl next door asks me every time she sees me if I can call Kira's mommy to have her come over to play. So yesterday they had the opportunity.
Andy gets on the trampoline with the girls and they all have a ball jumping on the trampoline and on Andy!
Andy didn't seem to be any the worse for all this activity. It's a great blessing for him to be feeling so good right now. His memory isn't very good, but at least he doesn't feel sick, and even seems to have a good amount of energy.
The weather was pretty dreary and drizzly this morning and I thought we wouldn't be able to get out today. But after church and lunch, the rain stopped and there were even patches of blue sky. I have determined to get us out as often as we can because the fresh air and exercise is so beneficial for Andy, as well as cathartic for me.
I checked our brochure and decided to go find the Assiscunk Creek Park since we had not been there yet. We found it and hiked for about 45 minutes. The air and paths were damp but the weather was clearing up. It was chillier than it's been but we like to hike when it's cold. It's exilerating.
Isn't this a pretty trail? Still some color on some of the brush and undergrowth.
I was impressed with this huge tree, branches reaching to the heavens.
The tide was out, so although the creek was lovely, the mud on either bank was not too aesthetically pleasing. All in all, though, it was a good outing and we were able to check off another park from our list.
So this year, I'm thankful for family, for nature, for health to enjoy nature and family, and for all the blessings we enjoy from God's bountiful hand.
I was reading in New Morning Mercies about our thanksgiving and was challenged by the author, Paul Tripp, to "never let [my] enthusiasm for the gifts replace [my] worship of and service for the Giver." Even if my family is somehow not in my life any more, even if my health is gone, even if I can't get out and enjoy nature as I'd like, God is still good and blesses me with him presence, his everlasting love, his kindness, grace, mercy and abundant life in him. Jesus and his work on the cross has accomplished everything I need for this life and the next.
Habbakuk 3:17-19: "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."
No comments:
Post a Comment