Friday, June 5, 2009

Finding Your Treasure

The first Wednesday of every other month, we have a Ladies' Night Out at our church. I lead a team of 9 women who do a wonderful job of planning a fun and inspiring evening for our women. June 3 was the latest one, with a theme of Under the Sea, Finding Your Treasure.
A mother-daughter duo decorated the foyer for the evening. They are so gifted and artsy as you can see by the following pictures. (And yes, those are real, live fish in the centerpieces!)
As a mixer to get people talking to each other, we had cards made up with questions to get the conversation going. The questions were good food for thought:
1. Do you like the beach? Why or why not?
2. Have you ever been on a cruise? If so, where did you go/what did you like about it?
3. If you’ve never been on a cruise and had an opportunity to go, where would it be? Why?
4. Do you have a box or container where you keep special things? What are some of the things in the box?
5. Name some things in your life that you treasure.

1. I have mixed feelings about the beach. I like it because water is peaceful to me, I like to sit on the beach and relax. I don't like it because of the sand and suntan lotion.

2. I have never been on a cruise and have no desire to ever go on one (unless Andy wants to go to Alaska, then I would go with him)

3. If I had the opportunity to go, it would be to Alaska.

4. I keep cards and letters that are meaningful to me, not in a box, though, but in a folder in our file cabinet.

5. I treasure my Bible, certain pieces of jewelry that special people have given me, and family pictures.

After the mixer, we had several stations where women could make either a bracelet or a Sea-mail card! I was able to do one of each. Here is what I made:

A braceletand Sea-mail (a card)
The evening closed with Lisa speaking to us about what we treasure. She gave some illustrations of her own treasures, then spoke about how we treasure God because He treasures us. She used verses in Deut. 7:6 where God tells Israel that they are his treasured possession. And I love the image God uses in Zechariah of his people being jewels in a crown who sparkle in his land. How attractive and beautiful they will be! He MUST really love us since He sent His Son to die for us. We love because He first loved us. 1 John 4:19

Another point she made is that the reason we treasure certain possessions is because they are connected to a relationship. I treasure my red earrings because of the one who gave them to me. If a stranger or someone I just casually knew gave them to me, they would not be that significant to me. So I also treasure my salvation and life in Christ because of the One who loved me and gave Himself for me.

1 comment:

Meggan said...

ooh Alaska!!! :)