Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My house needed to be cleaned but I was somewhat lacking in motivation this morning. So I came up with a plan to get myself going: I timed myself doing certain jobs:

1. 4 bathrooms, including cleaning the floors - 1 hour
2. vacuum hallway/foyer & kitchen - 16 minutes
3. dusting furniture & dry mopping wood floors under furniture - 36 minutes
4. vacuuming carpets - 15 minutes

Total time spent in cleaning - a little over 2 hours

I had procrastinated getting started by baking a cake first thing this morning, then doing some online banking, etc., etc. I also was hoping to run over to the Nursery to look at a couple of bushes to purchase. But I forced myself to get my cleaning done before leaving the house.

Mission accomplished! I love a clean house, but getting it that way is sometimes painful.

Andy spent most of the day cleaning, too, but his was outside. He has quite a mess to clean up from all the trees Christian cut down on Saturday. He got a pile out to the street, a neighbor took some,
but there is still a lot to do.
We can put as much brush and branches to the street as we want and the township will send around trucks to pick it up; one of the advantages of our high taxes. (HA)

I took a turn about the yard this afternoon with my camera. I derive such pleasure from the beauty of my gardens.

Sundrops

Coreopsis
Peonies
dwarf salviaabelia
This evening, Andy's dad made pizza and we joined them, along with Jon & Sam for dinner. Andy is marrying Jon (our nephew) & Sam in a week and a half. After dinner we enjoyed the carrot cake I made this morning, then Andy met with Jon & Sam to talk over final details of the wedding.It's a beautiful evening: perfect for sitting out on our new front porch!

7 comments:

Nancy Yoder said...

I long to have "time" to sit on a porch or deck and relax! I think I am trying to do too much. I planted some sunflower seeds last evening. I hope it isn't too late. I love flowers too and my birds. I have hordes of finches, but no hummers! My neighbor told me she hasn't been able to attract hummers either. Great pics again. Mother

Christy said...

Timing your chore?!! That's funny. That is so you! :) I don't think I could time my chores since I get so many interruptions it would be depressing.

Phyllis said...

Andy came in a couple of times while I was working, but I told him I couldn't stop to talk, I had to keep going because I was "on the clock!" I don't think I could have timed myself when my kids were little. That would have been an exercise in futility!

Meggan said...

i miss and envy your wonderful yard.

:)

judy said...

Hi Phyllis, do you think you're a little obsessive compulsive? Timing your chores! Anyhow, loved your pix of flowers and goodies you make. I now know that you've been a great role model for that super mom - Christy! Love to read her blogs. It's my entertainment for the day. I anxious await all her new postings.

Anonymous said...

Could those sundrops & coreopsis possibly from your little sister's garden?! They look great.

Phyllis said...

Yup, that's where they're from. Thanks, little sis, Toot.
Phyllis