Monday, July 9, 2018

I was looking forward to two days off this past week. There was a time when having two whole days to myself was like a little bit of heaven. Life was so busy with children, husband, house projects, family reunions, work, etc. etc. 

But that was a different season of my life. Life is very different now. I am always alone. I had things to do on Tuesday, but Wednesday was interminably long. It was too hot to be outside doing anything too strenuous. I went out as soon as I got up, thinking I would do some gardening. Just stepping outside the door was enough to change my mind. But how much is there to do in the house when it’s just me?

I thought about going somewhere and doing something, but then a part of me felt like I needed to just get used to being by myself. Self talk: Be content…trust God…it is what it is…be thankful you can have some quiet.

Maybe part of my problem is that I’m still coming down off the high of my Scotland trip. Life is back to the routine: work, going to see Andy, getting the oil changed in the car, taking care of things around the house and yard, fitting in family time with the kids and grandkids.

On July 1, we had a family party at Amy’s in Lancaster County to celebrate two kids’ birthdays. 
 

It was also an opportunity for Christy and Dawn to see Amy's new house. It was very hot that day so we stayed inside for the party. I was invited to drive up with Tommy and Dawn in their van, so that saved me the stress of 4 hours driving.

Then last week, Kira had 4 days of Horse Camp with riding lessons. I helped Dawn out by taking Kira and picking her up on Tuesday (since Dawn has all those kids she watches). I also picked Kira up on Thursday afternoon.

Also, on Tuesday, I went to see the Mr. Rogers documentary with a friend. It was such a warm, uplifting film and encouraging to know what a kind, gentle man he was.

On Saturday, I drove to Berks County to hang out with my family. It’s a 4th of July tradition for us to have an annual picnic on the Saturday either before or after the holiday. I was going to drive up with Dawn and Tommy again, but on Friday night, they decided they weren’t going to go after all. It had been a busy week for them and 4 hours in the car with the children didn’t sound appealing. But I decided I would go by myself to avoid another day being at home alone. It was also a good opportunity to see my brothers and sisters and their spouses. I hadn’t seen them in a year. I’m glad I went. We had some good conversations catching up with each other. The weather was perfect and the food was plentiful and flavorful. My sister, chef extraordinaire, contributed more than her share.

When I woke up Sunday morning, I had a hint of a headache and was soooo tired. I went back to bed, but unfortunately, I forgot to turn off my alarm, so in 30 minutes, it went off again. I was still so tired so I went back to sleep. I think I might have been able to sleep all day, but I made myself get up and get moving. I have learned how beneficial and good for my soul it is to be with other people. Since it was Sunday, I had the opportunity of interacting and connecting with any number of people. And by lunchtime, I felt pretty good physically, and no more headache.

One person I spoke to, after inquiring about Andy, commented how impressed she was that I was always so cheerful. Ha! Well, that blessed me, and I refrained from telling her how I really felt earlier that morning.

So, life has its ups and downs.

In one of my conversations on Saturday with a niece, I mentioned how when life is tough, I’m so grateful that I have a blessed hope; that some day (in eternity) our troubles will be over.

Then I wondered if I was not being grateful for this day. Each day is a gift and there is always the opportunity to enjoy that gift and what we’ve been given. But that night as I was reading Life on the Highest Plane by Ruth Paxson before bed, I came across:

 "The believer's heart is set upon heavenly things; he values and seeks heavenly things more than earthly. 

Colossians 3:1-2 "Since then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."

Do I hear someone say, This is too high a standard for me; it is not only impossible but unattractive. I am on the earth and in this world, therefore why should I not live as though I were and enjoy what this earth and this world have to give me and leave the enjoyment of heaven until I reach there? Such is the reasoning of vast numbers of Christians and their lives are in full harmony with their reasoning. As someone has aptly said they have become Christians much as a man takes out a life insurance policy--something that does not in any way alter one's manner of living but will be of use after death and is maintained with the payment of a yearly premium. With many a person becoming a Christian has made little if any difference in either his character or conduct. He is still of the earth--earthy.

Is it not conceivable that God would have us become acclimated to our eternal home in heaven with Christ during our transient stay on earth? If the atmosphere of heaven is stifling to me here what will it be to me there? If the heavenly pleasures and pursuits are unattractive to me now, what will they be to me then?...Death is both an exit and an entrance all in one. For the believer it closes the door on earth to open one into heaven. There is not one instant for preparation for that higher altitude. If my heart cannot stand it here, how will it stand it there?"



 A beautiful reminder that longing for heaven is not wishful thinking or escaping from reality. How kind of the Lord to speak peace to my soul. He's so good to me.

No matter how bleak and barren life might seem, where there's life, there's hope. I'm always so impressed at how life tenaciously holds on in the most unlikely places.




Bloom where you're planted - because God is there.

No comments: