Sunday, May 13, 2018

Mother's Day and Andy's birthday fall close together on the calendar. So that sounds like a good reason for the family to get together - which we did yesterday. Christy and Dawn and their families stopped at Care One Harmony Village to see Andy and wish him a happy birthday before coming on over to the house for a picnic. Christy posted some beautiful sentiments about her dad on facebook and people weighed in with comments that were kind, loving and encouraging. 
 

 
I read Ann Voskamp's blog post for Mother's Day where she said she wasn't interested in receiving flowers, cards, chocolates or any gift, for that matter. What mattered most to her was for the family to be together, enjoying each other's company. I feel the same. It means so much to me to just sit at the table with the kids and grandkids, to watch them eat and interact with their sisters, brothers-in-law, aunts, uncles and cousins. I don't need to necessarily have a conversation with any of them, it's just such a joy for them all to be there. I love seeing them love each other. It doesn't take much for them to start laughing, joking and having fun together.



 
Then, of course, there's the cuteness of the youngest in his superman shirt.



I got in one last hike earlier this past week (last because I don't like hiking in the summer with the heat, humidity, mosquitoes and ticks). A friend joined me on our outing to Brendan T. Byrne State Forest. I love that park. We stopped at the Ranger Station and hiked 3 miles to Pakim Pond. It's a hike through a variety of foliage and trees. My favorite is through a stand of Atlantic white cedars. They are such tall and beautiful trees. It happened to be one of those days where the sky was a rich blue, the air was warm, and the sun was shining. It makes for lovely pictures with all that color. We ate our lunch at the picnic tables by the pond before hiking the 3 miles back.





When Christian was down yesterday, he was kind enough to prop up my holly tree that had been weighed down by one of those heavy snows we had.


When I checked out his handiwork, I was amused that he had used a juicy juice carton as part of his fix.




I like the way the holly stands against the chimney.

Another tree that I had been concerned for was the dogwood. A number of significant branches had been broken off during that heavy snow. But it outdid itself with all those pink flowers. I think it will be ok.



Psalm 34:4 ~ "I sought the Lord and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears." I've always considered that when I entertained fear, I was not trusting in the Lord. But as I read this verse, I was struck with the promise that when I seek the Lord, He delivers me from my fears. I surely can't deliver myself. I try to turn over my worries to Him, but somehow they just keep returning. I'm overwhelmed and consumed with fear, sometimes -  fear of the future, fear of the unknown, fear of my lack of finances to pay for Andy's care. But deliverance from my fears isn't up to me. This was a great "aha" moment as I thought about it. 

My application for Medicaid assistance is nearing completion. My attorney sent me a letter with a list of things I needed to do yet, and I am working on checking off those items. This is an incredible process. I don't know how people manage to do all that's required. I have an attorney who is doing most of the work, but I still need to provide her with reams of paperwork, contacting my bank and my financial agent innumerable times for documents to prove my need. I'm learning a lot in this process, but I admit I'll be so relieved when it's all done and behind me.

There's an element of expectancy in all of this. God is a Creator and He is creative in the way He works things out. His ways are higher than ours and He sees details that we can't in our finite-ness. So as I wait for things to work out, I expect that they will; and some day the details will be astonishingly accurate and awesome - more than we can think or imagine!

Jeremiah 29:11 ~ "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Ephesians 3:20 ~ "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!" 

And through all of this, God will get the glory. That's my desire.

No comments: