Sunday, September 4, 2016

Last Sunday after church, Dawn and family came to the house so Tommy could cut off some branches that were hanging too far over into the driveway. Tommy is always a lot of fun to have around. And he works with a willing heart. I am happy to feed him for his efforts. 


 
While he was working, Dawn and I hung out and the girls played on their trikes and roller skates. The sun was shining brightly and it was pretty hot so we didn't stay outside very long.



It's been so hot for so long that we've stayed mostly indoors in air conditioning. We've been working away at puzzles, finishing 3 in these summer months.





The Wizard of Oz puzzle was fun but I almost gave up on the Kittens in a Basket. That one took over 3 weeks, I think. But we finally finished it. 

We got a break in the heat yesterday so we spent the morning doing some yard work. It seemed like we had just trimmed the bushes along the driveway but they needed it again. So we both worked at them. I am not good at selfies so during one of my breaks, I snapped a picture of my worker bee! He was so intent on what he was doing, I don't think he even knew I was taking his picture.

It was such a beautiful day and it had been so long since we'd been out, I finally couldn't stand another minute away from those south Jersey parks. So off we went to Boundary Creek. I was pleasantly surprised when we started down the path to see two beautiful golden rain trees in full bloom flanking the path. I thought they bloomed in the spring, but there they were.


I also couldn't believe the hints of orange in the sassafras trees. But there's the proof. How quickly the seasons can change.
 
One evening last week, I went out to water some of my plants and saw a red tailed hawk on the ground. I watched it for a little while, then noticed he had a squirrel. I could see the squirrel's tail. I went back in the house to tell Andy and his dad, so for the next several minutes we had fun watching this big bird. Then it flew off a little way, but landed on top of the swing set. Andy went out slowly and got extremely close. I was a little worried the bird would want to defend its prey, but it just sat quietly on top of the swing set. 



Our hike yesterday wore Andy out. He was so tired today. I think he is getting weaker and less able to do much exertion. It seems he is always cold. And of course, he is able to do less and less by himself. I try to be aware of him all the time and anticipate his needs or desires. It's almost like having a 2 year old again. Should I leave him alone while I take a shower? Yesterday when I got out of the bathroom, I heard the microwave was on. When I investigated, he had a bowl of cold cereal in there. On further investigation, he had put water on the cereal (not milk), then put it in the microwave. He decided he would eat it anyway and then announced that it wasn't too bad. He did eat the whole thing.

But it is a confirmation again that he cannot be left alone. I also need to give him instructions if I am going into another room to let him know what I am doing and that if he wants or needs anything, he should wait till I can help him get it. He is always agreeable to whatever I tell him, but if he remembers it, that's another story.

I was encouraged twice this week by input from Andy's mom and dad and also a good friend who told me I was doing a good job with Andy and my situation. I don't really think that I am, sometimes I just feel like I'm gutting it out. But it's encouraging to be encouraged. Another friend asked me one day how Andy was doing. When I gave some recent examples, he teared up. 

It's hard to express in words how grateful I am for the prayers of our friends. I know we are being prayed for. I can feel it. I also like to picture Jesus interceding constantly for us. How could I endure otherwise? He gives us grace in our time of need. And I am so needy.







Stronger 
by Hillsong
There is Love
That came for us
Humbled to a sinner's cross
You broke my shame and sinfulness
You rose again victorious

Faithfulness none can deny
Through the storm
And through the fire
There is truth that sets me free
Jesus Christ who lives in me

You are stronger
You are stronger
Sin is broken
You have saved me
It is written
Christ is risen
Jesus You are Lord of all

No beginning and no end
You're my hope and my defense
You came to seek and save the lost
You paid it all upon the cross
Songwriters
BEN FIELDING, REUBEN MORGAN

No comments: