Sunday, March 13, 2016

Is it Spring Yet?

Can you believe it??? On March 9th, the temperature got up in the 70's. It was sunny and warm...what's not to love about that? I decided there was no better time than NOW to work on the gardens. I hadn't thrown mulch down last year and it showed. Even with the cold winter weather, weeds were not deterred so I had my work cut out for me. I wanted to pull all the weeds, trim all the bushes, edge all the gardens because I hoped to hire our lawn service to put down mulch for us. Two years ago, we put down 5 yards of mulch - what a lot of work it was! 

Our lawn service had offered to give me a price on doing the mulch, and I decided I'd let him do it. But before he came, I wanted to make sure the gardens were ready. In my own opinion, I don't think it's a good idea to thrown down mulch over weeds...those weeds need to be pulled out first. Maybe that's my OCD kicking in...but that's how I feel I want my gardens done.




Not a bad picture for a shaky Parkinson's patient, right? Except that his shadow is in the picture!

I was just itching to be outside working in the warm weather. And I thought it would be good for Andy to be outside, too. We worked all yesterday morning. I admit that by lunch time, I was beat. My legs felt weak and shaky, and I thought I was done for the day. I edged the gardens and pulled weeds. Andy picked up sticks and bagged them, along with my piles of weeds.

We had our lunch and I sat in my "relaxin' chair." I didn't know if I'd be able to go back outside, but after an hour or so, I was infused with another bit of energy and motivation. Andy was a good sport and went back out with me, helping. We got a lot done. I was so excited. We finally quit with only one garden left.

We got all the gardens around the house, the 2 trees in the front yard, the garden at the street, the lilac garden and the rose of sharon garden done.




You know how Eric Liddel in the movie, Chariots of Fire, said he felt God's pleasure when he ran? Well, that's how I feel when I'm working in my gardens and anticipating the beauty to come. I feel God's pleasure working in the dirt, making beautiful gardens to delight in the rest of the year.

The only one left was around the shed. That had to be left for another day. 

I didn't think we were going to be able to work outside today because the forecast was calling for rain. But although it was overcast, the rain held off and we went back to work, finishing everything by 3:00. What a good feeling. 

It won't be long before the peonies will be blooming again! 




While I was sitting in my relaxin' chair yesterday, I texted our lawn guy and told him we were ready for the mulching. He said he would come on Wednesday and do the job! Yeah!  

Earlier in the week, Andy and I did fit in a hike. We really like the Black Run Preserve and Andy doesn't seem as excited about going far or doing new and different hikes any more. The Black Run Preserve has quite a few trails so there is plenty of variety, as well as a sense of being there before. I think we hiked about two and a half miles. That day was so spring-like, too, with lots of sun and warmth. It was great to be out in nature.




I was thinking Andy seemed a little more with it this week. But there is still lots of evidence that things aren't making sense to him. Yesterday, he asked me if mom and dad had plans to sell their house. That was an odd question since they sold their house 11 years ago and moved in with us. Then today he asked me if since I got a promotion at work, did that make a change in my responsibilities. Huh? I honestly don't know how to answer these off the wall questions. I think with the work question, I just said, no, I don't have any extra responsibilities. And he said, "that's good!" Sometimes, he'll ask me if I have a job. He's asked that several times. He also asks what I do. These questions seem so strange, since I've doing this job for 23 years now. It seems like he's losing his long term memory, as well as the short term.

I'm currently dividing my reading time between Your Father Loves You by J.I. Packer and Desiring God by John Piper. Both are good books to challenge our delight in God and find our pleasure in Him.

Here's a quote from Richard Baxter, a Puritan preacher: "May the living God, who is the portion and rest of the saints, make these our carnal minds so spiritual and our earthly hearts so heavenly, that loving him and delighting in him, may be the work of our lives." 

John Piper quoted J.I. Packer who quoted Baxter: "The hope of heaven brings us joy and joy gives us strength." I have to agree with Baxter and Nehemiah who said, "the joy of the Lord is my strength." It's draining to be sad and melancholy, but exhilarating to be happy in Jesus.

More quotes from Piper:

Worship is adoration. We adore what delights us. The quest for pleasure is not optional but demanded. - Psalm 37:4: "Delight yourself in the Lord."

God is delightful - Psalm 36:8: "They feast on the abundance of your house, you give them drink from your river of delights."

His goodness shines with brightest rays
When we delight in all his ways
His glory overflows its rim
When we are satisfied in him
His radiance will fill the earth
When people revel in his worth
The beauty of God's holy fire
Burns brightest in the heart's desire.

If our Father's heart is full of deep and unshakable happiness, we may be sure that when we seek our happiness in him, we will not find him out of sorts, frustrated, gloomy, irritable. He is a Father whose heart is so full of joy, it spills over onto all those who are thirsty.

Life was always intended as a journey into joy, and death is just a stage in that journey. To realize the meaning of death is to discover both life's meaning and hope's power.

God is giving me strength for what he's assigned to me. I'm grateful for his presence and the grace he liberally showers on me daily.

No comments: