Sunday, March 6, 2016

A Weekend Away

I tend to plan things well in advance so that it seems like my special weekend away will never get here. But it finally did.

I left Friday morning and drove to Christy's house where I read to Claire for a little while so that Christy could finish getting packed up and ready to go. Then we stopped to pick up a friend of Grace's and off we went. 

I felt pretty good about being prepared for making sure Andy was taken care of while I was gone. As it turned out, we both survived! I had a home health aide come to the house both Friday and Saturday afternoons, from 2:00 - 8:00 pm, just to make sure Andy took his medications at the right times and to keep him company. A friend, Jim, came and spent overnight at the house, then stayed Saturday morning for a while. While Jim was here, he did some handyman jobs, went on a walk with Andy, and took a drive to buy a new smoke detector (we had a defective one). I saw Jim this morning, and he said he had a really good time hanging out with Andy and is ready to do it again any time I need to get away. And he encouraged me to do it!



We took a little side trip to "Big Valley" in Mifflin County where my mother is currently staying in the Valley View Retirement Communities. Christy and Grace played for as many residents as were in the activity center.



After some music time, my mother took us on a tour of the facility, showing us all around, introducing us to all her friends and relatives. I knew a couple of people: my Aunt Anna Margaret, my mother's life-long friend Sallie, her cousin Rachel. But there were a lot of people that I never met before: some my mother met after she moved in and some she had known since she had been a little girl. 

We got to meet my grandmother's cousin, Mabel. Mabel is 98 years old and still mentally sharp. It was a pleasure to meet her and hear some stories about her younger days.



I was hoping to get a chance to see Barbie's Lounge while we were there and made sure we fit that in on our tour of the buildings. Barbie was my aunt, my dad's sister with Down's Syndrome. She was the resident who lived the longest in this facility, having been there for 33 years. When they built a new wing to the facility, they named two lounges for Barbie.



This is an amazing picture. Not only are we in Barbie's Lounge, but this is my mother with her oldest daughter, oldest granddaughter and oldest great granddaughter! 

It's a huge facility but everyone seems very happy to be there. All the staff were so pleasant, caring and free with hugs! My mother is having the time of her life there.

At dinner time, we drove over to Allensville and met my Aunt Sis at a buffet for our evening meal. Aunt Sis is my mother's younger sister and has always been special to me. She didn't get married or have her own children until later and since my mother had me when she was only 20, Aunt Sis doted on me and my sister (and still does). She couldn't leave me after dinner without giving me a hand made gift.



The whole day was a real treat...seeing my mother in her "new" place and meeting her friends, spending time with loved ones.

Then it was back in the car to head on over to State College. We had a nice hotel room that Christy had reserved. Grace and her friend spent some time in the pool.


On Saturday, the girls did some more swimming before getting ready for the competition and checking out of the hotel.

Grace practiced quite a bit with her trio partners. The pianist was only 13 and unbelievably good. I'm not sure how old the cellist was but all were less than 15. Saturday was actually Grace's 15th birthday, but she still qualified to play in the junior division. We heard them play their pieces a number of times as they practiced...and each time was so enjoyable.

Then at 2:15 pm, it was finally their turn. 

 
They played Piano Trio in C Major by Franz Joseph Haydn and Piano Trio Op. 159, No. 1 in C Major by Carl Reinecke. Both pieces were done well, and I was sorry when they were finished! There were 7 trios in the junior division and Grace's trio did not win. They were last on the program so we didn't hear the others perform but they were perfect in my book!

Another treat while we were at State College was to visit a cafe in town, The Sowers Harvest Cafe, owned by Ricky's cousin. Amy had suggested we visit there for our lunch, and we were so glad we did. Their food was outstanding. When we explained to the workers that we were related to Ricky, they introduced us to the owner when he arrived. We thoroughly enjoyed his friendliness, as well as that of all his staff. The food was so good that we decided to go back after the competition and get our supper there, too.
 

Bryant Martin and his wife and foster daughter - thanks, Amy, for your suggestion to try out their cafe.

Well, it's a long trip from State College to Christy's house, then another hour and 20 minutes to my house. I finally made it home, though, and was surprised to see that the aide was still here. Andy was in bed, all his medications had been taken, but the aide was waiting for a ride. I was glad I got the chance to meet him. Andy said he had a good time with him. He was gentle, calm and industrious.

It was such a treat to get away and spend some time with Christy and Grace, experiencing life girl time for 2 days with them. It was a little stressful getting it all planned in order to make sure Andy was taken care of while I was away, but it was so worth it.

No comments: