It was a lot of fun but now we're paying the price. Hopefully, resting up today will have us up and back to normal again tomorrow.
I've been thinking Andy is going through a pretty long stretch of good health. His Alzheimer's and Parkinson's are still evident but otherwise, he's feeling well. This is a blessing. I've tried to keep as close to routine as possible, thinking that a break in the accustomed schedule might be harmful and cause a set-back.
But sometimes, you just have to get outside the norm and experience some change to liven things up. It didn't help that the last week has seen rain, rain, rain with gray and gloomy skies. We just had to get out. So on Christmas Day, we drove over to Amico Island and took a stroll on the hiking trails. There were puddles to walk around and the ground was quite squishy in many places, but in the time we were there, the rain held off. The weather was so warm that there was a mist rising off the river.
We walked a trail I don't think we had been on before, going through a large stand of river birches.
Then we found this black willow with four huge trunks rising from the root (although in this picture, only three trunks are visible).
Kira had asked a month or so ago if she could sleep over at our house with a special request to sleep in the apartment upstairs. Since no one is currently up there and she has off school this week, it seemed like a good time to fulfill her request. Dawn brought her over Christmas evening.
We played games, watched a Veggie Tales video, read a bed time story, then went to sleep. Actually, it was hard to settle down because excitement was running high. Kira was so excited she was bouncing around on her bed. She told me she couldn't sleep and asked what she could do. She came up with her own idea of "counting sheep." Then proceeded to count out loud. At one point, she was so excited, that in her bouncing around, she fell off the bed. It was quite entertaining. We finally did get to sleep, though.
The next morning, there was breakfast, more games, fun with Poppop,
and another Veggie Tales video before getting in the car for a trip to Berks County. My brother hosted a pizza party for my side of the family at his house. I had originally decided to go by myself and leave Andy home with his parents. But his mom and dad were sick all Christmas Day and still weren't feeling well on Saturday, so I felt sorry for Andy being home by himself all day and asked him if he wanted to come along. I wasn't going to drive, but planned to go with Tommy and Dawn in their new van so there was plenty of room for Andy, too.
It was a very long two hours in the car even though we were with the kids and I didn't have to drive. We had a good time connecting with family when we got there. All of our girls and their families were there which was special. One of my sisters and one of my brothers were there, as well as my mother.
Andy and I both had a good time connecting and I got comments that remarked how good Andy seemed. Yes, he did - but today is a different story! I think it is good for him to be around people but it is also very exhausting for him. He tries very hard to be coherent but the effort takes its toll.
Then it was another two hours for the trip home. He was tired so he went to bed fairly early. I stayed up later and tried to read to make myself sleepy. I was in the front room when I heard someone walking around. When I went to check, it was Andy. He was confused and said he didn't know where I was. He was anxious and I had a hard time calming him down. When I asked him in the morning about it, he didn't remember anything.
We didn't go to church yesterday. I was pretty tired and he must have taken 3 or 4 naps throughout the day. We just stayed in the house, I sat in my relaxin' chair most of the day.
Well, hopefully, I'll be feeling up to partying again by the end of the week when we will have everyone over to our house for more Christmas togetherness. We still have lots of presents under our tree for the children and grandchildren.
No comments:
Post a Comment