Monday, December 21, 2015

Still Processing

In Garrison's Keillor's stories about the make believe Lake Wobegone, there is a church with the name of Our Lady of Perpetual Responsibility. While this draws a chuckle from his audiences, it also strikes close to home. 

This past week I had several people who are very close to me express their concern that I was taking too much responsibility on myself, and I needed to make time in my life for a break. I have all kinds of "reasons" why I can't take a break, why I have to keep going...but I have to admit, I also began to feel a breath of fresh air at the thought of being free - if only for a day or two.

So what does that mean for me...what can I do to refresh myself...to keep from being constantly exhausted?

Right now, I don't know the answer, but I'm processing and thinking through some ideas. I like the idea of getting away for a long weekend. At the same time, I struggle with making sure Andy is taken care of while I'm gone. That could involve a lot of prep work, leaving a schedule, training someone else, and then trusting that person to do what currently only I know and do with him. Then when I return, will I have to pick up the pieces and deal with issues that might not have happened if I had stayed "on the job"?

My first trial was a night out on Thursday. Dawn's friends gave her a "sprinkle," which is a new term in my book. In actuality, it was a baby shower. So I put on a movie for Andy with instructions to take his pills before bed and a promise that I would be back. It was a good time with Dawn and her friends (my friends, too!), and I even won the baby bingo game! When I got home, Andy was in bed and he had taken his pills. Yeah! We both survived.

I left work around noon on Friday and felt the call of the woods. It had been several weeks since our last hike - too long. We went to Palmyra Cove and walked in the woods which is a little less windy than the river trail. It was a cold and windy day, but there were some occasional blue patches of sky.




I need to constantly remind myself to get out in nature...what a catharsis it is to my soul. It doesn't matter if it's cold. Just dress more warmly but get OUT. Make the effort. I never regret it. Saturday was even colder and very windy, but off we went again, this time to Long Bridge Park. We took the long way around - probably a total of 2 or more miles. I like the trails in this park because they go through patches of holly trees and evergreens. So even though it's winter, there's still color in some areas.





There is much data to gather and think through. I like being with Andy, but I also see the value in getting away from our situation in order to gain some fresh perspective and be refreshed. I'm sure the Lord will guide me in this journey. He has promised to give wisdom to those who ask...and I'm asking!

No comments: