This week I read in New Morning Mercies that "death is the doorway to life. Hopelessness is the entrance to hope. Weakness is the place to find strength. Injustice is where mercy flows. Life comes to those who deserve death. Defeat is actually a victory. The end is really a beginning. Out of sorrow comes eternal celebration. The tomb is where new life begins."
This is the paradox of grace!
As delighted as I am with the colors of fall, I also struggle with the nearness of winter. Autumn leaves fall...which leave the trees bare and dead looking. I tell myself I like the changing of the seasons. It brings variety to life, but in my heart, I can't wait for spring and the colors of the flowers and budding green on the trees again.
But here's the strangest paradox of all, I think. Death is necessary for fruit and a productive life. Consider what Jesus said to his disciples in John 12:24. "I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." There is a purpose for death. It's not the end, but the beginning of something more. More than anything we can imagine.
With these thoughts rattling around in my head this week, I was fascinated with the beauty of dead branches against the backdrop of a blue sky or live, vibrant trees.
We went to Palmyra Cove on Tuesday and walked the river trail. It was a gorgeous fall day. It would have been a shame to not take advantage of it.
The rest of the week was actually pretty warm. Andy did a lot of raking of all the leaves in our yard. He worked diligently, adding significantly to our pile at the street. I was a little surprised at how hard he worked and how much he got done. He didn't seem to be affected physically by all the physical effort, which was also a surprise.
Then yesterday we were invited to have breakfast at a couple's house, with whom we've been friends for many years. What a fun time that was. After breakfast, we took a walk along the Rancocas Creek which runs through their town not far from their home. The sky was gray and looked like rain, but that held off until we had returned. I didn't take my camera/phone with us on that walk so I determined to go back another time.
So after church today when Andy wanted to go out, we drove back over to Medford, this time with my camera. The sun was shining and the air was cool. We walked along the creek, savoring the smell of the woods, hearing the birds singing in the trees, enjoying the sights and sounds of autumn.
Look at this beautiful dawn redwood tree with rust colored needles. I was excited to see it - what a majestic tree!
Bare branches may appear to be dead but come spring, they will burst forth with new life again.
Lord, you have brought me to the valley of vision,
Where I live in the depths but see you in the heights;
Hemmed in by mountains of sin, I behold your glory.
Let me learn by paradox
That the way down is the way up,
That to be low is to be high
That the broken heart is the healed
heart,
That the contrite spirit is the
rejoicing spirit,
That the repenting soul is the
victorious soul,
That to have nothing is to possess all,
That to bear the cross is to wear the
crown,
That to give is to receive,
That the valley is the place of vision.
Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells,
And the deeper the wells, the brighter your stars shine;
Let me find your light in my darkness,
Your life in
my death,
Your joy in
my sorrow,
Your grace
in my sin,
Your riches
in my poverty,
Your glory
in my valley.
From the Valley of Vision.
Death leads to life. We are called to die - it is the way of life!
No comments:
Post a Comment