Sunday, October 4, 2015

Mid-Altitude

Life is full of ups and downs and we've been through plenty in the last couple of years. It seems like more downs than ups, but recently I feel like we're more just cruising along. That's not bad. Actually, I am thankful for the gift of the routine, the predictable, the break from the intensity of all that comes with hard times. Granted, the euphoria of heads in the clouds is exhilarating, but who can stay there? On the other extreme, who can bear the strain of the bottom dropping out and living in the depths of despair? 

So I'm thankful for where we are right now. I feel like there's some breathing room. Oh, I'm not bursting with energy and accomplishing myriads of chores and great things. But I am managing to do what needs to be done and enjoy life again. This is only possible by the grace of God, of course. He constantly reminds me of his presence and care for us.

A couple of weeks ago, I opened a card that came in the mail. Inside was a $100 gift card to Shop Rite and a note signed by the "40-10'ers". A verse was included: Psalm 40:10 ~ 

 I do not hide your righteousness in my heart;
    I speak of your faithfulness and your saving help.
I do not conceal your love and your faithfulness
    from the great assembly.


I have been overwhelmed at the goodness of God toward us. Granted, it is becoming harder to communicate sensibly with my dear husband. But I sense God's presence with me on this journey in a remarkable way. He is the delight of my heart and soul. God's grace does not always mean relief from trouble and hard things. But it does mean enablement to endure and see God's care in the midst of trouble.

Andy has been enjoying watching a set of 6 dvd's: The Wonders of God's Creation. He watches them over and over, continuously. He has always been fascinated by the wonders of creation. These dvd's are really well done and are so interesting. I'm glad he loves watching them, because it's given him something to do while I do other things. Yesterday, though, after watching the one on space, he told me he wanted to go visit a satellite. I had no idea what he was talking about and he couldn't explain it to me, either. In hindsight, I probably should have just gone along with his idea because in another hour or so, he would have forgotten all about it. But I tried to understand and then talk him out of the idea. This is a pointless and fruitless endeavor, and I should know that by now - but I, too, forget. I'm just not used to this way of interacting with him.

Then on Friday when I got home from work, he said we got an invitation to a friend's birthday party. He has been friends with this man since they were in high school together. The party is this afternoon from 5:00 - 10:00. I called the man's wife and told her we wouldn't be able to attend. I had to make the decision as to what I felt was best for us, and Andy wasn't happy about it. He really wanted to go. However, he hasn't mentioned it since, and I don't think he even knows that the party is today. 

In the last couple of days, we endured a nor'easter and got 5 inches of rain. The sky is still gray today but we ventured out. Fortunately, the rain is done and at one point, the sun "tried" to peek through. We went to Oswego Lake in the Pine Barrens, another park to cross off our list.

Andy felt he had been there long ago and he may have been, but it didn't look familiar to me. It was a huge lake and we drove to it on sandy roads. The weather was refreshingly cool with a nice breeze, and thankfully, it didn't rain on us.





 

And we're seeing some fall color...orange leaves on the sassafras trees!


So for now, we'll happily cruise along in mid-air, neither up in the clouds nor down on the ground...Just somewhere in the middle.






No comments: