Sunday, May 3, 2015

Our Faithful God

I talked Amy into coming down for a day to join us at the Palmyra Cove Nature Center. It could count as a field trip for her homeschooling and we would get to see her and the kids. It was a brilliant idea. The weather was gorgeous and that was an added benefit. 

We got there mid-morning and hiked the Perimeter Trail. I was surprised to see that these beautiful little girly-girls were making faces when I took their picture. Well, I go for realism - no fake, plastic, goody goody pretending here! What you see is what you get.


  

The kids were full of energy and we didn't see any deer until I told them that if we were quieter, we might see some. This park is always full of deer and they don't seem too fearful of people. After we tried walking with more stealth, we saw two deer eating quietly in the woods.


Not having raised boys, I always enjoy watching Chase, who is all boy. When we spotted the deer, he immediately took the mighty hunter stance to see if he could sneak up on them. We had to insist he stay on the trail because of our concern for ticks.
 


The Perimeter Trail goes by ponds and streams that are filled with Canadian geese. Some were nesting and we were careful to stay far enough away from the nests to avoid being chased by them. We also had to be careful where we put our feet because of all their droppings. I'm sure that's where the expression "dirty bird" came from. I'm not crazy about Canadian geese, maybe because they're so common around here.

We walked by the beaver pond but didn't see any beaver. There were lots of turtles, though, sunning themselves on logs in the water.


 


After walking the Perimeter Trail, we arrived back at the Nature Center, found a picnic table and ate our lunch. I really wanted to take Amy and the kids along the Cove Trail which follows the course of the Delaware River. I didn't know if the kids were up for another hike but they still seemed to have lots of energy. So off we went.


There is lots of driftwood along the river and the kids were busy inspecting and collecting all kinds of treasures. It's amazing all the creative ways they can find to have fun along the way.

It was such a beautiful day with blue sky, white fluffy clouds and greening trees and spending the day with family. We got in quite a number of hiking miles between the morning and afternoon walks - an estimated 5-6 miles.
 

In all the times we'd already been to this Nature Center, I didn't realize you could actually walk to the top of the building to look out across the river. But the kids discovered the stairs and I'm glad they did.








It was a lovely day and Amy was able to get us all in on a selfie!



The rest of the week was pretty quiet and normal. On Friday, Andy went with his brothers, sister and mom and dad to the U of Penn where his mom had an appointment for a brain scan. The last several months her memory has been failing and she has been increasingly confused. Thankfully, they were all together as the doctor gave the results of the testing:  she has Alzheimer's. It's almost like an epidemic in his family. She seems to be a lot more advanced than Andy, though. Perhaps it progresses more rapidly if you get it when you're older. Or maybe Andy is doing fairly well because he is so conscientious about doing his exercises. He likes getting out and I can see how good it is for his well being. And I make sure he takes his meds at the right times each day. If he depended on himself, he would never take them. He really depends on me to give him directions. Fortunately, I don't mind being in charge. Being the first born is a good thing sometimes: Especially if those getting the orders are good natured and don't mind being bossed!

Andy is so appreciative and often expresses how thankful he is for me. In my mind, though, I am only doing what he would do for me if the roles were reversed. In fact, he was such a servant to me in all our married life together. It is a privilege for me to serve him now. I really am enjoying the role! I also must say that I love being with him all the time. When he was gone all day on Friday with his family, I missed him. It seemed like he was gone a long time. People sometimes tell me that if I ever need a break, just call them. But I don't know that I really want a break. Maybe that will come later as he becomes more needy. But I always loved being with him as much as possible. I am thankful that we were able to work in the same office for so many years. 

Pastor's sermon this morning echoed the way we feel about our life. He said that a sign of the filling of the Spirit is that we give thanks for everything. Even in the hard times, we can thank God because He never changes. He is still God even over our difficulties. He is always good, kind, loving, full of grace and mercy, faithful. He always gives us what we need to endure. And these are things to thank him for. 

I was reading Psalm 89 this morning and was struck by how many times the Psalmist mentions the faithfulness of God.

Verse 1: I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations.

Verse 2:  I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you established your faithfulness in heaven itself.

 Verse 5: The heavens praise your wonders, O Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones.

 Verse 8:  O Lord God Almighty, who is like you? You are mighty, O Lord, and your faithfulness surrounds you.

Verse 14:  Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you.

Verse 24 says God's faithful love will be with him (David) and in verse 33, God promises that He will not take [His] love from him, nor will [He] ever betray [His] faithfulness.

Isn't that a beautiful picture to think of God's faithfulness surrounding Him (verse 8) and going before Him (verse 14). It's who He is. And that is really something to be thankful for!

No comments: