God has given me the gifts of organization and administration. I have always enjoyed using my gifts in the home and in my job. But now I see how necessary these gifts are in my current situation of caring for Andy in his illness.
Two weeks ago I wrote about my new role as Activity Director. Every day when we start our morning, Andy asks, "So what are we doing today?" Sometimes he knows what day it is, but usually he gets it wrong. So I tell him the day, then explain all the things we're doing.
Out of curiosity, I started writing down a list of all the things I am responsible for. I got down to #23, then lumped everything else into #24 - all the housework. Yikes! Believe it or not, I do not feel overwhelmed by this list. I feel energized that God has given me a love for keeping things going!
One of those items can actually now be crossed off the list. When we moved into this house 24 years ago, we had a list of all the projects we wanted to do to this fixer-upper. The last item on on this list was to replace the concrete apron in front of the old garage and along with that, replace the railroad ties that were acting as a retaining wall on that side of the house. I had saved quite a bit of money and decided that we could afford to hire a masonry contractor to do the work. So I called the guy who had done a little job last summer for us to come and submit an estimate. I also called another contractor to get a competing estimate. It took a couple of weeks, but I finally got the two estimates for the work I wanted done. The first contractor came in very high - a lot higher that I expected. The second contractor came in quite a bit lower. Now here is the tension point: Contractor #1 came in high, but his quote was very detailed in how he would complete the work and what he would do. He used a full page of descriptive detail in how he would do the work. Contractor #2 gave a short paragraph of what he would do and he was cheaper. Another point of tension was I knew the kind of work Contractor #1 did, I had experience with him. He was also very congenial, friendly, and made the effort to keep in contact with me. I did not hear from Contractor #2 after he gave me his quote.
I agonized over this. I talked this over with a trusted colleague. I prayed about it. I sought wisdom from the Lord. Then this trusted colleague suggested that I ask Contractor #1 to come down on his price. What could it hurt? So I did. He didn't get back to me for a couple of days, which got me thinking that maybe he wasn't interested in the job after all. But finally he did...and his answer? He said he would take 20% off the price.
I gave him the go ahead and last weekend, he and his crew got the job done.
Here are the before pictures:
And after the work was done - the new and improved...
Wow! We are very happy with the work that was done. Of course, it would have been so much cheaper if Andy could have done it. But that is out of the question now.
So now that's one less thing I'm responsible to get done. But there are little handy man jobs that occasionally crop up. I do know several carpenters that would be capable to fix-repair when things go wrong. So recently I had a list of 4 items that needed attention. I called someone and he came to do the work. It's also interesting to realize that I'm not as helpless as I thought I was. As long as Andy was able to fix things and do the work, and also be so ready and willing and capable to do what was needed, I was not required to get involved. Don't "they" say that "necessity is the mother of invention." And sometimes when you have no choice, you can rise to the challenge.
But I want to give the credit to the Lord. He made me the way I am with the right gifts to accomplish what he knew would be required. I also want to give him the credit that even though I have these gifts from him, I could not do what needs to be done without his enabling grace. Because without him, I can do nothing. And I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.
We managed to get in two more hikes this week. On Tuesday we went to Atsion Lake. Andy and his family had spent many summers there swimming and playing in the lake and camping in the cabins as he was growing up. I've always wondered if they pronounced it correctly. They say At-sine lake, but it looks like it should be pronounced At-sigh-on Lake. So I googled it and found out that the correct way to say it is At-sigh-on, but the locals still say At-sine. Ah-ha! Andy and his family are definitely locals. And so am I now. At-sine it is!
Atsion Lake was formed by the damming of the Mullica River. The Atsion Lake Trail is well maintained and one of the best Pine Barrens interpretive trails in the region. It was a lovely day with sunny sky, nice and warm with hardly a ripple of a breeze. A perfect day for hiking.
There were lots of these leatherleaf bushes in full bloom.
I didn't think we would be able to go anywhere on Saturday because I was getting ready for Christy and her family to join us on Sunday for Mother's Day. I made a sandwich casserole that was a big hit the last time I made it, along with an apple crisp for dessert. But it was a productive morning so that I was finished with everything I had planned by 12:30. So when I suggested to Andy that we could fit in a hike, his eyes lit up and he was ready to go.
I decided to try Friendship Creek Preserve. Just the name itself sounds inviting! The brochure describes it as "a remote and hidden gem surrounding the headwaters of Friendship Creek, a tributary to the South Branch of the Rancocas Creek." It was another gorgeous day, although a little too hot. I'm afraid as we get closer to summer, our hiking days will have to be put on hold for cooler weather.
Friendship Creek Preserve:
I guess this is Friendship Creek.
A lot of the trail was thick sand. It was quite a workout trudging through it.
Hmmm. I guess we won't go any further.
Andy and I think it's interesting how many of the parks we've been to are next to residential developments. Often, while we're hiking, we can hear road noise or airplanes, etc. But Friendship Creek seemed more remote. We commented how quiet it was. It was easy to hear forest noises, especially birds singing. Another interesting thing is that the people who live next to these parks aren't even aware of their existence. As we drive to them, we drive by the homes of people we know. And when we tell them we were in their neighborhood, they are surprised to find there is a park so close by.
And then today was Mother's Day. Christy and Christian and their kids came down and went to church with us. Dawn was directing our church's children's musical with 60 kids involved. So Christy and gang wanted to see it. After church they came to our house for lunch. And a good time was had by all.
I'm so thankful for the daily blessings God showers upon us. He has given us a good life.
Even though I acknowledge my gifts are God given, because I am still earth bound, those gifts can have a dark side. I think I must drive some people crazy with my attention to detail. Fortunately, Andy loves me in spite of my OCD, although he does like to poke fun at my fastidiousness sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment