Sunday, January 11, 2015

Reminiscing

Last year this time, we were in Hawaii as a special treat for our 40th anniversary.  What wonderful memories we made in such a beautiful place.  Someone asked us recently what did we like best about our trip.  There were too many "best" things to narrow it down to one. 







Our 41st anniversary came and went without much notice.  We didn't even give each other a card, although we did wish each other:  "Happy anniversary."  But lately I've been thinking about our life together and what a blessing it has been.  When you're young and your whole life is before you, there's no way to know what lies ahead.  And that's a good thing, I think, because I don't know if we'd have the courage to go through with it if we did know.  At a typical wedding, we vow that we will remain faithful in "sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, for better, for worse, till death do us part."  Well, in 41 years, I think we've hit all those conditions.

Would I do it again?  Oh yes, a thousand times yes.  Over the years, I've enjoyed hearing Andy relate how we met and fell in love.  He likes to say that he saw me and knew he wanted to get to know me before I knew he existed.  We were in the same class at what was then PCB (Philadelphia College of Bible) back in the 70's.  He thought I was off limits because I had a ring on my finger.  Yes, I was engaged, but that guy didn't go to the college so he wasn't in any of our classes.  God had other plans for me, though, and that spring the engagement was called off.  

The next fall, Andy and I were in another class together and this time the teacher seated us alphabetically.  The desks in the room were arranged horizontally so Andy W was seated right next to Phyllis Y.  We were elbow to elbow!  The rest of the class oohed at us and that was the beginning of our courtship!  The name of that class was Methods and Materials of Christian Education.  Andy always liked to add at this point in his narrative that:  "He had the methods and I had the materials."

Andy was so sweet natured and kind right from the beginning.  I found myself wondering if he was for real and when would he show his true self.  But that was his true self.  He has always been loving and accepting of me, never critical or harsh.  

In the spring of 1973, Andy invited me to attend the spring formal with him.  
 

About a week before, I made a little joke about the benefit to my having a skill that would be able to help support him as he went through seminary.  He told me that we should not joke about that - that we weren't ready to talk about marriage.  Yup - he shut me down!  I thought to myself, "That's ok, I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for you to make up your mind."

But I found out later that was to put me off...he wanted to surprise me.  So after the formal, we went with 2 other couples to Atlantic City to walk on the boardwalk.  Each couple went their own way.  One couple was already engaged, the other couple became engaged, then so did we!  It was very cold on the boardwalk and I was wearing my winter coat.  

By the way, we were in Atlantic City but this was before there were casinos there.  The boardwalk was deserted that night except for us.  Andy took me to a set of stairs going down to the beach, then gave me a little gift wrapped package.  He had me open it, then as I opened it, he asked me if I would marry him.  When I saw what was inside the package, it was a fake diamond ring.  So I asked him, if he was kidding!  After he assured me he wasn't kidding, he was very serious, I finally said "yes."  


Of course, it makes a good story for him to tell people that when he asked me to marry him, I asked him if he was kidding.  But in my defense, just a week earlier I had been told we weren't ready to talk marriage, then when I opened the gift, I see a bubble gum machine ring.  What would a normal girl think!!!


It's been an exciting path that God has led us on these 41 years.  There have been mountains and valleys, as well as level paths, but we have had each other and God has been with us all the way.  I admit I prefer the level paths in the Pine Barrens of south Jersey.  It's easy and not so stressful.


This afternoon we climbed Apple Pie Hill (all of 207 feet above sea level).  Just that little bit of a climb set my heart racing and my legs screaming for oxygen.

 
That's as far as he went!


the view from the top!


But if you make the effort, it's worth it when you get to the top.  I have to admit, the view from the top of Apple Pie Hill isn't as amazing as some of the views we've seen from other mountain tops.  But there is something about being on top of the "mountain" that gives a feeling of accomplishment.


You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.  Psalm 16:11

1 comment:

Katy said...

This post made me so happy. Happy belated anniversary!