Andy is feeling better so I'm trying to give him projects to keep him busy. Over the years he has remodeled every room in our house, added the in-law apartment and generally made our house a beautiful place to live. He can no longer do those complicated projects but still likes to keep busy and be productive. It's also helpful if I'm close by when he's working to offer encouragement and advice.
One of those projects was to dig out the trumpet vine that has been growing on our trellis over the last couple of years. Trumpet vine is invasive so when we planted it, we used plastic buckets to hopefully contain it and keep it from spreading where it wasn't wanted. Hummingbirds are attracted to trumpet vine flowers which is why I planted it in the first place. After a few years, however, I began to become somewhat disappointed in the way the trumpet vine "performed." It became very woody on the stems and the vine itself was wild and crazy. I kept trimming it back but then it didn't produce many blossoms. So it seemed like a good time to try another plant in that spot.
It was labor intensive to dig out those buckets, but with Andy's muscles and my direction (!), we were successful.


In place of the trumpet vine, I planted morning glory seeds in two planters. I'm thinking this is a good option because morning glories also attract hummers and they die out every year. They are very fast growing and I'm excited to see what they look like full of flowers.

Another of his projects was to "remodel" the swing set. He took that one very seriously. He leveled it out so it wouldn't rock when kids were swinging. We had replaced the canvas "roof" several times and it kept weathering and looking terrible. So I asked him if he thought he could build a roof. He worked at it for several days and was successful. At one point, I asked him how it was going and he said it was "painfully slow."
![]() |
| Out with the old |


![]() |
| In with the new |
I was happy with my lilacs this year. They are filling out and bloomed nicely. The white bush didn't bloom last year but it came through this spring!

We've been able to spend some time with our kids and grandkids. Last Sunday we went to Lancaster County to attend church with Amy and her family. After church, back at their house, Amy fed us lunch, then we went to Chase's baseball game. That was fun watching those little kids play ball. Andy has always enjoyed watching kids' teams play, even when we don't know any of those kids. But this was a special game because of Chase. He played really well, too, even going home with the game ball for being chose MVP. Way to go, Chase.


The week before, we went to see Christy and her family, had lunch with them, then hiked on a trail near their house. It was a beautiful day, so nice to be outside, just walking along enjoying the day and nature and each other.
I've begun reading a new book: Loving Well by William Smith.

An encouraging read...Isaiah 53:3-5 tells us that Jesus was a "man of sorrows and familiar with suffering." But he not only knows how it feels to suffer, he actually took our sufferings on himself: "surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows..." Hallelujah, what a Savior!
He continues to encourage us in our walk with him.



1 comment:
the morning glory vines are looking great! Do you have any blooms on them yet? I have ONE flower, haha! I'm so impatient :P
The roof of the swing set looks awesome, great job Dad!
Post a Comment