Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mother's Day & Andy's Birthday

I realize I'm just a little late in posting about Mother's Day but a lot has happened in this last week.

I got a lot of attention from our girls.  Christy and her family sent me an arrangement of flowers that lasted well over a week.

Amy and her kids came down on Tuesday last week to spend some time with us.  Dawn and her 2 girls came over, as well.  Chase was the only boy playing with 3 girls, but he came prepared.  As he entered the house, I noticed he was dressed with a cape on his back and he carried a hockey stick (his sword) and a tupperware lid fashioned to be a shield.  He explained to me that he was the knight who was going to save the princesses.  That sounded pretty creative and they played well together.  Well, most of the time they did!  A little later, there were some screams coming from the play room as Chase bounded into the kitchen where we adults were.  When we asked him what was going on, he held up a hand full of play jewelry and explained that he was Robin Hood, robbing from the rich to give to the poor.  What a character!

Amy brought a top that she had crocheted for me.  It fit perfectly and I love it.

Dawn also gave me a Mother's Day gift - a coffee mug with her girls' pictures on it.  I proudly use it every day for my morning coffee.

 Andy got the short end of the stick, I think.  His birthday was Monday, the day after Mother's Day.  He got a couple of cards!  Actually, they were very nice cards from his daughters and a few friends.

I've been able to work outside in the gardens a little.  The weather has been so nice - I don't think I could stay inside if I wanted to.  I happened to see a beautiful lace cap hydrangea called "strawberries and cream" at Trader Joe's one day when I was there.  I couldn't resist.  I had to buy it. 



Several years ago I planted a yellow rhododendron bush.  I'm so happy it is blooming this year.


On Wednesday evening, Andy got the chills.  He'd been coughing quite a bit, then started complaining about his back and sides hurting.  We took his temperature, but that was normal.  On Thursday, he stayed home and in bed most of the day.  Friday morning, he did have a fever and wanted me to take him to Urgent Care.  We got there a little before 8:00.  The sign said they didn't open till 9:00 A.M.  So we went back home and called his doctor.  She wanted him to come right in, which we did.  Before we went, though, Andy decided to think through, then write down all his symptoms.  We talked it over together so we would be prepared when we were in the doctor's office. 

When he doesn't feel well, he is especially foggy and more easily confused.  The doctor asked him what was wrong and he couldn't remember so I had to tell her all the things he had been experiencing.  Andy had written things down but didn't look at his notes or remember what we had talked about.  It is so important that I accompany him whenever he sees the doctor.  Dr. J said that since he has a propensity to prostatitis, she would prescribe an antibiotic.  She listened to his lungs and they were clear.  I don't know why he was coughing and congested, and she didn't seem to think it necessary to go down that track. 

He spent the rest of the day on Friday at home in bed.  He didn't feel much better on Saturday or Sunday.  By Sunday afternoon, he decided to take his temp again and it was over 100 degrees.  So we went over to Urgent Care.  That doctor saw him, listened to his symptoms and what Dr. J had done, and sent us back home, basically telling us that we need to give the antibiotic a little more time to take effect.

It's been a long, slow process but I think he's finally on his way back up.  He's still coughing but he's looking a bit perkier.

No comments: