Thursday, May 23, 2013

Comfy Couches

I remember when we first got our couch and loveseat.  

It seems like only yesterday!  
For many years we had bought second hand or third hand couches.  When we moved to Portland for Andy to attend seminary, we bought a couch for $5 at the Salvation Army store.  It worked for us for the 4 years we lived there.  In other moves we made, we either found a couch someone else offered to us for free or one we found out at someone's curb.
Until 15 years ago...Andy's cousin who loves to go to yard sales, called us to ask if we would be interested in a couch and love seat she found.  She said the fabric and colors on them were unusual but very nice.  She said they were on sale in an upscale neighborhood in CH.  We went to look at them and decided to buy them.  They were more costly than the $5 we had spent for our first couch, but we weren't the poor seminary students any more.  However, they were still used or second hand.
Well, those couches have seen a lot of family living.  We got them before C & C were married (14 years or so ago).  
 











But as happens in this world, things wear out.  And some weeks ago, when I looked closely, I noticed that the cushions were threadbare.  So when a furniture store flyer came with the mail announcing a 50% off sale, I asked Andy what he thought about going shopping.  I never expected him to agree to it, but he immediately said we needed to replace those couches.  After all, they get a lot of use with all the family, kids and people who come in and out of our house.
So off we went.  We decided that leather would wear best.  We also wanted recliner options.  What do you think?

 They're roomy and comfortable and can fit lots of kids with us, but I will always have a warm spot in my heart for the mauve/red/teal couches.  

2 comments:

Katy said...

Oh Man, that last picture was hilarious!! Ricky and I didn't even have any kids then! Great post mom... ah the memories! New couches look great though :)

Christy said...

I loved that walk down memory lane. Now it makes me sad that the old couches are gone. I do like the new ones though. And now it is time to make some new memories on them!