Sunday, May 15, 2016

Flowers & Family

Although it's still not very warm, but supposedly by mid May the threat of frost is over. I wasted no time inplanting some summer flowers. Andy and I went out to the garden center after I finished work on Thursday and loaded up the back of the car with flowers for the pots as well as a few annuals for the side beds by the driveway.

I had never seen or heard of Gazania but I was intrigued by their beauty. They produce large, daisy-like composite flowers in brilliant shades of yellow and orange, over a long period in summer.



 And I like to keep some color in the pots in this side garden.



I already have a lot of flowers blooming in other parts of the yard that are outdoing themselves this year.


Azalea
lilacs

lilacs close-up

I'm not the only one who likes lilacs!


Yellow rhododendron - I love this color

Andy was another year older this week and last Sunday being Mother's Day, there was reason enough to have a family get-together. All the kids and their kids came down yesterday afternoon. We had planned a picnic with burgers and hot dogs on the grill. All day long, the weather forecast was calling for rain in the afternoon. But the rain held off until after we ate so we put our deck to good use (and in the process, saved the dining room from crumbs and food).



I love how the kids are so resourceful. When it started raining, no one told them what to do, they just occupied themselves in our old garage. They found a lawn darts game and some bats. The funny thing was that they didn't play the lawn darts game in the usual way. Someone stood by the game "board" while the others lobbed the darts toward the board. Then the person at the board tried to bat the dart.



Everyone had a good time, including the adults.



We did get a couple of hikes in this week. On Wednesday afternoon, we went over to Black Run Preserve again. It's amazing the difference when there are leaves on the trees. We hiked the Orange Trail, part of which went through this green "tunnel."




And yesterday right after lunch, we were able to fit in a hike at Long Bridge Park. I was excited to see the mountain laurels are blooming.




And there's the Rancocas Creek!



I was thrilled to see a goldfinch at the feeder today. And he was good enough to sit there long enough for me to get his picture.
 
And one more picture - this one of our littlest grandchild. Dawn took this picture of Cole and me last Sunday at church. He is such a happy little guy. And I am happy when I get to hold him.


 "The day's portion in its day: Such was the rule for God's giving and man's working in the ingathering of the manna. It is still the law in all the dealings of God's grace with his children. A clear insight into the beauty and application of this arrangement is a wonderful help in understanding how one, who feels himself utterly weak, can have the confidence and the perseverance to hold on brightly through all the years of his earthly course. A doctor was once asked by a patient who had met with a serious accident: 'Doctor, how long shall I have to lie here?' The answer, "only a day at a time,' taught the patient a precious lesson. It was the same lesson God had recorded for his people of all ages long before: the day's portion in its day."

I read this in Andrew Murray's Abide in Christ, day 14 reading. It was a good reminder that I need only concern myself with today. God gives grace as I need it today. I don't know and can't know what tomorrow will be like, but I do know that when it comes, God will give me grace for that day as well. 

I'm beginning to think there may be some changes I need to make soon. I may need to give more attention to Andy and not as much to my own pleasures (ie. reading, computer time). It seems he is becoming more dependent on my occupying him and not only telling him what to do, but also doing it with him. So here come more lessons on dying to self. But here, too, God will provide just what I need..."He most certainly gives, only enough, but also fully enough, for each day."

1 comment:

Katy said...

I was going to say something about your pretty Gazina's on Saturday but then forgot from the driveway to the deck 😜