Sunday, October 18, 2015

Eyes of Love

Last weekend was rough with all the high speed turnpike driving we did. It didn't help my mood going into the week. But the amazing thing is that God met me and encouraged me with his grace and love.

On Monday morning when I got to work, I noticed a card on my desk addressed to "Andy and Phyllis." When I opened it, there was a card, not signed, and a $100 Shop Rite gift card was enclosed. Then later in the day, a lady came to the office and handed me a $50 Shop Rite gift card. Why do I waste time down in the dumps?! Thankfully, God is his grace, doesn't leave me there but sees and hears my every cry.

I'm currently reading through the psalms at night before bed and that evening, I read Psalm 34. When I came to verse 15, I was so ministered to because this is exactly how the Lord takes care of me. "The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry." He is paying attention to my moods and hears my cries.

I got to thinking about the eyes of the Lord and how he looks at me. Of course, when he looks at me, he sees Jesus because Jesus took my sin on himself at the cross, and credited to me his own righteousness. Amazing to think about.

I've often told Andy that he is a wonderful example of God's love because he loves me so beautifully. He is always encouraging, never critical, always patient with me and loving me no matter what. He's so sweet that even when I praise him for his unconditional love for me, he tells me: "what's not to love."

So I was looking through our pictures of us. See what I mean?




  
 What a sweet blessing to be married to a man who exemplifies God's love.

We've been taking advantage of the beautiful fall weather with our favorite activity. I'm very grateful we are still able to get out and be active in this way. On Tuesday we drove down to the Franklin Parker Preserve in Chatsworth. We've been there before several times, but this time, started at a different spot. We were pleasantly surprised. This Preserve is actually a 9,700 acre preserve with 21 miles of hiking trails. I found an online article by Ben Ruset who gave a very informative narrative with pictures of the trails that whetted my appetite. We just had to go and check it out.

The fall colors are beginning to turn, and it was a perfect day for a walk in the woods. Part of the hike included a path along a canal that had been used in the cranberry bogs.








 There is so much more to explore and I am anxious to go back.

We didn't go hiking on Saturday but attended a friend's wedding in the afternoon. This afternoon after church and lunch, we took a nice Sunday drive. We had never been to the Bass River State Forest. It was an hour's drive through the Pine Barrens down near the shore. This was another very scenic park with a huge lake and lots of camping sites. Of course, no one is camping right now but the park ranger we spoke to said it is a very popular spot in the summer. Lake Absegami (how is that pronounced?) is actually a 67 acre lake that was created in the 1930's and provides a variety of recreational opportunities.

There are a lot of hiking trails in the woods and around the lake. The air was very chilly today but invigorating. We walked about a half hour, then Andy said his foot was hurting so we turned back. I did get some very good pictures, though.

nice walking path through oaks and pitch pines

walkway through the swamp with the Atlantic White Cedars

Atlantic White Cedars


Lake Absegami








Well, we checked off another of the beautiful parks in our county. There aren't many left that we haven't visited. But each park has much more to offer than we were able to see the first time, so there will be many more opportunities to explore as long as Andy has the strength and stamina for it.

This morning I happened to be looking at Andy when all of a sudden, he twitched. I asked him about it since I had never seen that happen before. He said, "yeah, that happens every once in a while." He is so forgetful, too. He can't find anything, asking me all the time where something is (where it's always been). If I tell him it goes in the closet, he'll go to the wrong closet or open a different door that isn't even to a closet. He knows he's "messing up," but can't seem to "get it right." I feel sorry for and tender toward him. Poor guy. I can't imagine I would take it so well if I lost my memory. But he has told me that he doesn't want to fight against God's plan for him in this. In spite of his acceptance, he still works at trying to connect and interact. He faithfully does his exercises every day and sometimes, twice a day. He doesn't shirk from meeting people and talking with them. He makes the effort and, in fact, does well at it, I think. 

Well, our life sure took a radical turn from where I thought it would go. But our God is faithful. He continues to look at us with eyes of love and listen to our cries. Peter quotes Psalm 34 in his first letter (chapter 3, verse 12) when he wrote about suffering. Then in chapter 5, he tells us to "cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." (verse 7)

Oh yes, he cares. I know he cares. His heart is touched by my grief.
When the days are weary, the long nights dreary.
I know my Savior cares.
From the hymn, Does Jesus Care?

He looks at us with eyes of love and nothing can separate me from his love (read Romans 8:38-39).

No comments: