Sunday, April 5, 2015

Happy Day, Happy Week, Happy Life

The greatest day in history
Death is beaten, You have rescued me
Sing it out, Jesus is alive
The empty cross, the empty grave
Life eternal, You have won the day
Shout it out, Jesus is alive
He's alive

Oh, happy day, happy day
You washed my sin away
Oh, happy day, happy day
I'll never be the same
Forever I am changed

When I stand in that place
Free at last, meeting face to face
I am yours, Jesus, You are mine
Endless joy, perfect peace
Earthly pain finally will cease
Celebrate, Jesus is alive
He's alive

Oh, happy day, happy day
You washed my sin away
Oh, happy day, happy day
I'll never be the same
Forever I am changed

Oh, what a glorious day
What a glorious way
That You have saved me
Oh, what a glorious day
What a glorious name
Oh, happy day, happy day
You washed my sin away
Oh, happy day, happy day
I'll never be the same
Forever I am changed
Songwriters: Timothy David Hughes;Ben Cantelon
Published by: THANKYOU MUSIC, LTD.


Earlier this week, we brought Grace back to our house to spend some one-on-one time with Grammy and Pop-pop. It's a tradition we started the year she turned 7, then every year after that on or near her birthday. The first number of years, she would make up a list of the things she wanted to do while she was with us, but this was her 8th time and by now we know what she likes to do. Her favorite meal is barbeque chicken pizza,
 
with ice cream for dessert while watching a movie.
 
 
For breakfast, there's blueberry pancakes, then playing lots of games, all of which she wins. Maybe I don't try hard enough, but honestly, I really don't "let" her win. We went shopping for an new spring outfit and found a good deal because of a coupon I had.
 
She helped us finish the puzzle we were currently working on. This one was quite a challenge because there were a number of pieces missing including all of the border pieces. That's right...was this someone's idea of a joke?!

 
After lunch, we had to fit in a hike. This time we took her to Palmyra Cove Nature Preserve under the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. Andy and I have been there several times now and we love it every time. There are "tons" of deer and they're almost tame. They are more curious than frightened of us.


 


And there's the beaver dam. We sat and watched for a while but no beavers showed themselves.

 I love having the grandkids over one at a time. Even though I also love having them all at once to watch them enjoy playing together as cousins, it's hard to zero in on them and get to know them when they're all together. So I hope they enjoy it as much as I do, coming over to our house and doing fun things together.

We took her back Tuesday evening, then had dinner together with the rest of the family. Claire is quite the entertainment. She keeps us all in stitches, laughing at her constant chatter. At one point during the meal, she turned to me and said, "Grammy, let's play the quiet game!" I think I was the winner of that game!

I had a holiday off from work on Good Friday but kept it low key, staying home and having a day of rest. It rained pretty much all day so we didn't do any hiking. 

On Saturday, Dawn had play practice but needed a baby sitter for Kasey so Andy and I helped out - gladly. She is such a little doll and was happy being with us.



 When Dawn returned to the house, she had Kira with her and they stayed the rest of the day. They had lunch with us, then Dawn put Kasey down for her nap. I started working on the baked ziti for everyone who would be joining us later. I know ziti is not a traditional Easter dish, but everyone loves it.

Everyone arrived a little after 2:00 pm. Amy brought lots of the plastic Easter eggs that we filled with candy and some money (1 $10, 1 $5 and 5 $1's). Then the guys went out in the yard to hide them. We lined the kids up at the door, youngest and littlest in the first row, then the bigger kids at the rear.
 

 Get ready...


And go...





It was a houseful and loads of fun, but all too soon they all packed up and were gone again.

Today is Easter Sunday. A glorious day. It was such a wonderful worship service at church this morning, singing victorious songs and hearing the message again of the hope we enjoy because of Christ's sacrifice on the cross and resurrection from the dead.

Andy and I were tired today, maybe because of all the activity yesterday. But we decided to take advantage of the beautiful weather and go hiking. (I know - surprise, surprise!)

We had heard of the Rancocas State Park that is very close to us but we had never been there. So we had to go check it out. What a find! We took the 3.2 mile loop. Part of the trail ran along the bank of the Rancocas Creek.
 








 
In a lot of the parks we've been recently, I've been surprised at how close we are to civilization, even in the middle of the pinelands and state parks. That's the beauty of living in the Garden State, that in spite of the congestion and dense population, there are still many places to enjoy the beauty of God's creation.
 
 Case in point...there's the NJ turnpike and Interstate 295 in the distance.

Some time ago, I read in a book by Paul Tripp that trials often do much to reveal what's in our hearts. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read it in which book, but I've been thinking on this. I am tending to agree with him because I have seen my impatience and frustration in all its ugliness. One of the idols of my heart is to "be right." I feel the need to prove my rightness when someone disagrees or says something "wrong." This has especially come to the forefront since Andy is no longer able to make good judgments. He is often confused and I am so tempted to set him straight. And I usually give in to that temptation. Poor Andy. But he is so patient with me. I have had to ask for his forgiveness so often lately and he freely gives it. 

Another book I am currently reading is  Comforts from Romans by Elyse Fitzpatrick
 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wouu1FPSL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
She is so good at explaining the good news of the gospel. Jesus not only died for all my sin (pride, self righteousness, anger, etc.), he lived a perfect, righteous life that is imputed to me. It sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? What a good and awesome God.

Oh, happy day, he washed my sins away!

1 comment:

Ruth said...

This makes me just ... so ... happy. :)