Sunday, December 7, 2014

Tis the Season

Let the parties begin!

A couple invited us to go to Longwood Gardens with them on Tuesday to see the Christmas display and light show.  But it was raining on Tuesday so we rescheduled for Wednesday after work.  It rained all that day, too, but tapered off as we were driving there.  By the time we got to Longwood Gardens, it was still very damp outside but at least the rain had stopped.  We were hoping that because of the weather, maybe it would deter the crowds.  And it wasn't too bad.  Of course, the displays were awesome.  The people who decorate the trees and gardens are extremely creative and must have unlimited resources!  

It wasn't quite dark when we got there, but the lights were already on.







I'm sorry about the quality of my pictures.  They were all taken with my iphone and I'm admittedly not a very good photographer.  But I hope that my inability to take good pictures is outweighed by my many other fine qualities (which I hope I have!!!).




The couple who took us to Longwood Gardens have season passes with complimentary tickets for friends, so we were able to enjoy this beautiful evening for free.  On top of that, they treated us to dinner at Texas Roadhouse afterwards.  One of our daughters asked me what I had to eat and I told her salmon.  She was aghast that we were in a steak house and didn't get steak.  Well, I grew up on a dairy farm and ate steak/beef all the time.  It's nothing special to me.  Ha, ha.

The next evening, Andy and I were invited to join the pastors, deacons and wives at a catered dinner.  I was thrilled to be included, especially since Andy isn't technically on staff any more.  Little did I know that they intended to honor us at this dinner.  It was very special, with one of the ladies reading Philippians 2:14-16 and comparing Andy and me to the stars that are shining in the universe.  They presented us with 2 Moravian stars which we have since hung on our Christmas tree.


http://www.circalighting.com/product_medium/m_FrostedStar1.jpg
The Scripture and what was said about and to us was very special and meaningful and then the Pastor laid his hands on us and prayed for us.  Our hearts were very full.

Philippians 2:14-16
"Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life..."

We didn't get home that night till pretty late - a lot later than what we've been accustomed to for our bed time.  Friday saw us both pretty exhausted, and we realized how important it is for us to continue to stick to the routine.  It's so crucial to our functioning at peak level.  Andy was able to take a couple naps on Friday, but I went to work as usual.

On Saturday morning, I went to another party - this time a brunch for and with some of my women friends.  It was another time of encouragement being with those of like precious faith, reassuring and supporting each other.

The other day I was reviewing the book of James that I memorized many years ago.  In chapter 1, we are told to "consider it pure joy whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

PURE JOY - wow...I can't say I am ecstatic when I'm enduring trials.  But then near the end of the book of James, in chapter 5, James comes back to the subject of perseverance.  He reminds his readers of the suffering of Job.  Verse 11:  "As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered.  You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about."  Job refused to curse God and die at the advice of his wife, and even though he questioned God at times throughout his ordeal, he came through with nuggets of faith statements:  

1:21 - "The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised."

2:10 - "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?"

13:15 - "Though he slay me, yet will I hope in him..."

19:25 - "I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth."

And what the Lord finally brought about for Job, as James mentions, was more wealth and greater blessing than he had before.  But I was especially struck by the next sentence in James 5:11:  "The Lord is full of compassion and mercy."  That is the greatest lesson we learn as we persevere.  We experience the goodness of God - how he meets our deepest needs - every hour of every day.

No comments: