Saturday, September 6, 2014

We who are blessed, bless

Come, bless God, all you servants of God!
You priests of God, posted to the nightwatch in God's shrine,
Lift your praising hands to the Holy Place, and bless God.
In turn, may God of Zion bless you - 
God who made heaven and earth!
Psalm 134 (The Message)

Eugene Peterson comments on this psalm:  "Because God blesses us, we bless God.  We respond with that which we have received.  We participate in the process which God has initiated and continues.  We who are blessed, bless."

So how can I bless God?  By recognizing his goodness to me and being thankful for all he is doing in and through me.  

I love standing at my kitchen sink and looking out at the beauty of our garden and lawn.   A couple of years ago, I planted a crape myrtle bush in the corner of the house and right now, beautiful fuschia flowers are filling my vision as I look out.  A special treat the other day was the sight of a hummingbird coming by for a nectar snack.  Then other varieties of birds are quite busy at the bird feeders that I keep filled.  There are tufted titmouse, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, various finches, chickadees, nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, flickers, etc.  Occasionally, a chipmunk helps himself, as well as a squirrel or two.  It's quite entertaining to watch the action - better than tv!

And the lush green lawn reminds me of how we no longer have to hand water our gardens, but were able to put in a sprinkler system that automatically comes on every other day.  Our front lawn was an eye sore for many years, but now it is picture perfect!

I am very grateful for our family.  We enjoy being together and took the opportunity on Labor Day to have everyone join us for the day.  Tommy had to work so he wasn't with us for lunch but left work earlier than usual so he was here for our family pictures at the end of the day.  (more about family pictures in a future blog)

The morning had been dreary and threatening rain, so I looked up rainy day activities on google.  I found a very interesting game and we got the stuff to make it happen.  I think the girls were a little surprised that I would encourage a game like this since it was going to make a mess.  But I thought everyone would have fun with it and I could take the whole next day to clean up.  And isn't it a better goal to make happy memories than to have a perfectly clean house?  The game consisted in stretching a balloon across the bottom of a cup, then using the balloon to shoot mini marshmallows at each other.  
The ammunition



Don't forget the protective eye wear!  Big kids and little kids - one and all - got into the game.

Another blessing is that Andy seems to be feeling as well as he's felt in a very long time.  He is faithfully doing the exercises the physical therapist recommended.  He is also going on short bike rides nearly every day.  Perhaps it's the exercises, perhaps it's the medication, but whatever it is, we're thankful for feeling good.  His memory issues don't appear to be getting worse, or maybe I'm getting used to the way things are.   I admit it's hard to have a normal conversation because it takes a while sometimes to help him understand what I'm trying to convey.  But he tries and doesn't get frustrated or impatient with me (another blessing).  

Several weeks ago, I was feeling very sad.  But I have some very good friends who encouraged me with the Word and their love.  They reminded me to keep my eyes on Him and not my circumstances.  God quieted my heart and reminded me that I can trust him with my life and the things that he allows. 

I don't always sleep well, and one morning I woke exhausted.  In the process of getting ready for work, I was reminded that Jesus knows how I feel.  I remembered that he was up all night after being arrested in the garden - not a wink of sleep, plus being tortured, abused, misunderstood by his friends.  No wonder he fell as he was carrying his cross.  How did he have the strength to go on?  In spite of how he felt, though, he continued on with the work he had come to do.

Eugene Peterson mentions a book on God with the title:  The God Who Stands, Stoops, and Stays.  "That summarizes the posture of blessing:  God stands - he is foundational and dependable; God stoops - he kneels to our level and meets us where we are; God stays - he sticks with us through hard times and good, sharing his life with us in grace and peace."

I am very blessed.  How good God is!

No comments: