God continues to stretch and encourage me in this sphere of thinking. I have been classifying my own suffering as less significant than being thrown in prison for my faith. Many passages in the Bible, the gospels, James and 1 Peter specifically give encouragement to Christians suffering persecution. My suffering is not because of my faith, but physical. However, I was encouraged recently as I was reading Timothy Keller's book, Walking with God through Pain and Suffering. He used Job as an example, and what an example! Job was not suffering for his faith. God called him a righteous man and boasted of his goodness to Satan. All suffering is suffering, there are no degrees with God. He is equally compassionate and gracious, no matter what kind of suffering we are experiencing. So my suffering is legitimate suffering. I do not need to minimize, negate or explain it away.
Keller quotes Elisabeth Elliot, who is herself a victim of dementia now, in her book, Through Gates of Splendor: "God is God. If He is God, He is worthy of my worship and my service. I will find rest nowhere but in His will, and that will is infinitely, immeasurably, unspeakably beyond my largest notions of what He is up to." I am finite, His ways and thoughts are infinitely higher than mine.
I decided to read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp again. She writes on the importance of thankfulness and how it changes our perspective. There is every reason to be thankful. Life is a gift. We enjoy so many blessings from God's hand. Even things that seem hard can be a blessing. So how can I thank God for our current situation?
1. I am thankful that I have this time with Andy. He did not die suddenly so we still have time to enjoy our relationship and have fun together.
2. I am thankful for Andy's acceptance of his illness. He is not bitter, resentful and angry but desirous of bringing glory to God even through this.
3. I am thankful that Andy seems better physically than he was a year ago. Perhaps the medication is helping, perhaps people's prayers are being answered, perhaps...
4. I am thankful that social security benefits were granted.
5. I am thankful that the stress of Andy's job has been relieved.
6. I am thankful for God's provision of grace, strength to endure, encouragement from His word.
7. I am thankful for our many friends and family members who support and love and care for us.
And I could go on.
I have been getting back to my interest in cooking and baking again. My neighbor's garden is producing tons of zucchini so I have been experimenting with different recipes. This is a super delicious one:
Tomato Zucchini Casserole
|
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
|
2 medium zucchinis, thinly sliced
5 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
|
Directions:
|
1.
|
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190
degrees C). Lightly butter a 9x9-inch pan.
|
|
2.
|
In a large bowl, combine Cheddar,
Parmesan, oregano, basil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper, and set
aside.
|
|
3.
|
Arrange half of the zucchini
slices in the pan. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cheese and herb mixture on top.
Arrange half of the tomatoes, and top with another 1/4 of the cheese mixture.
Repeat layers.
|
|
4.
|
Melt butter in a skillet over
medium heat. Stir in onions, and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in
breadcrumbs; cook until they have absorbed the butter. Sprinkle on top of
casserole.
|
|
5.
|
Cover loosely with foil, and bake
in a preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake until the top is
crusty and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
This was sooooo good.
|
I tried a cookie recipe that used zucchini. They were ok - they had chocolate chips, zucchini, oatmeal and dried cranberries in them. I wouldn't call them a favorite and not even sure I would try this recipe again, but you can't go too far wrong with chocolate! And they're colorful - surely that counts for something.
Zucchini Cookies with Chocolate Chips and Dried Cranberries
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen cookies
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup shredded zucchini
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup dried cranberries
Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add the shredded zucchini. Mix until combined.
4. Slowly add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
5. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or Silcone baking mats. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars, mix until smooth. Add egg and vanilla extract. Next, add the shredded zucchini. Mix until combined.
4. Slowly add flour mixture until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries.
5. Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets that have been lined with parchment paper or Silcone baking mats. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove cookies from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
And of course, in the summer, I like to experiment with different kinds of salads.
This is a favorite, combining chicken and potatoes in the one dish (served with a side of zucchini bread - what else):
GRILLED CHICKEN SUMMER SALAD
2-3
chicken breasts (or 1 can from Trader Joe's)
¼
cup chopped fresh dill
¼
cup olive oil
2
tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1
large shallot, finely chopped
3
teaspoons grated lemon peel
3
tablespoons mayonnaise
3
tablespoons sour cream
3
celery stalks, thinly sliced
1
pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, cut into ½ inch cubes
Steam
potatoes until just tender, about 12 minutes.
Transfer to large bowl; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Grill
chicken.
Combine
dill, olive oil, lemon juice, shallot and lemon peel, mayonnaise, & sour
cream in large bowl. Season with salt
and pepper. Add chopped celery, chicken
& potatoes. Mix all ingredients
together.
It seems like our day off is always consumed with doctor's appointments and catching up on housework and errands. So I was really disappointed this week when Dawn called to ask if we wanted to take Kira to see a movie. I had to tell her we couldn't because our day was already planned for us. But later in the week, Thursday afternoon, we stopped in and asked if Kira wanted to go with us to the park for a hike and to play on the swings. So we did get to spend some time with her there as well as take her to Chick-Fil-A for dinner.

![]() | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
![]() | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| I am enjoying the beauty of our garden. The morning glories I planted are stunningly gorgeous.
God has given us all things richly to enjoy.
And as icing on the cake of our life, today's worship service included the song, Jesus, Thank You:
VERSE 1
The mystery of the cross I cannot comprehend The agonies of Calvary You the perfect Holy One, crushed Your Son Who drank the bitter cup reserved for me CHORUS Your blood has washed away my sin Jesus, thank You The Father’s wrath completely satisfied Jesus, thank You Once Your enemy, now seated at Your table Jesus, thank You VERSE 2 By Your perfect sacrifice I’ve been brought near Your enemy You’ve made Your friend Pouring out the riches of Your glorious grace Your mercy and Your kindness know no end BRIDGE Lover of my soul I want to live for You © 2003 Integrity’s Hosanna! Music (ASCAP)/Sovereign Grace Worship (ASCAP).
He is constantly pouring out the riches of His glorious grace and we do, indeed, know His unending mercy and kindness.
How good is the God we adore!
|





1 comment:
Good morning my friend. This beautiful post joins with the song of the ages ... and calls my heart to worship.
Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good. His lovingkindness endures forever.
Thank you!
Post a Comment