Monday, March 3, 2014

A Bright Spot in our New Normal

Just when you think things are leveling out, there’s a twist in the road.  A week ago, I thought Andy was doing pretty good.  He’s definitely feeling physically and emotionally better.  He’s exercising with me every morning, using weights and keeping up!  He’s also walking a lot back and forth to church.  He is feeling positive and happy.  These are all things to be very thankful for.  But the forgetfulness and confusion are still very challenging – for me, at least.  I’m trying to stay light about it, but there are times when I feel very sad.  Sad because I’m remembering how he was in the past and experiencing such a difference  in the way he is now.



Here’s an example of a recent conversation:



Me:  Tomorrow’s Saturday, I’m going out with a friend for coffee in the morning, but I have 2 things I would like you to do while I’m gone.  Do you think you can remember them?



Andy:  Sure…what do you want me to do?


Me:  Can you replace the smoke alarm upstairs and sweep the snow off the solar panels?  What do I want you to do?


Andy:  Snow off the solar panels.



Me:  And????



Andy:  I can’t remember the other thing.



Me:  replace the smoke alarm



Andy:  Oh, yes.



Me:  So what are you going to do tomorrow?



Andy:  smoke alarm



Me:  And???



Andy:  I can’t remember



Me:  Smoke alarm & solar panels



Andy:  ok, snow off the solar panels



Me:  And???



Andy:  I can’t remember



Me:  Smoke alarm  solar panels


Andy:  And what was the third thing?

Aghghghghghgh!



The amazing thing is that the next morning before we got out of bed, I asked him what he was going to do while I was gone, and he rattled it off without a clue from me.  So sometimes he’s got it and sometimes he doesn’t.



It’s challenging for me because he has always been so handy, so competent in everything, he could fix anything…but no more.  I still ask him sometimes, just to give him the opportunity to try.  But more often than not, he is not successful at what he tries to do.  And that to me is sad.



But in the middle of our new normal, we still have fun times together as well as with our family and friends.  He is still really good at playing with the kids.
 
 
Early last week, I realized it’s Grace’s birthday this week.  So I called Christy to arrange for having Grace spend an overnight with us.  As it turned out, this past weekend was the only time they had free the whole month of March.  So I left work early on Friday afternoon and went to pick her up.  Grace had a long list of things she wanted to do while with us and I’m happy to say we accomplished the entire list.



Friday
1.  Play games, games and more games:)
2.  Go outside
3.  Play solitaire on the computer
4.  Eat barbeque chicken pizza
5.  Eat ice cream
6.  Watch Anne of Green Gables
7.  Read a book
Saturday
1.  Games
2.  Bake an angel food cake
3.  Make earrings (I will bring the supplies)
4.  Go shopping



Grace is such a sweetie and a joy to have around.  We had a very good time and, in my opinion, the time was way too short. 



Christy decided to bring the whole family our way on Saturday to pick Grace up.  This accomplished three results:  we didn’t have to make the drive over to Pa., Grace got to stay longer with us, and Christy was able see her new little niece.  When I knew Christy would be coming down and staying for supper, I called Dawn and invited her and her family to come over as well.  Little Kasey is now 3 weeks old.  Evenings are her fussy time but there were plenty of us to take turns holding her and walking/pacing the floor with her.  

 She doesn't look very fussy here, does she?  Nice and peaceful, happy to be in Grace's arms.

Can you believe this girl is 13 ?

No comments: