Since vacation, Andy and I have been busy with doctor appointments. We had his hearing tested and he needs hearing aids. He's known that for quite a while, actually, but hasn't wanted to admit the extent of his hearing loss, for several reasons. One, is hearing loss a sign of weakness or old age??? Two, hearing aids are very expensive. Andy has never been a big spender (this is a good thing!), and especially doesn't spend money on himself. But after pressure from his wife and daughters, he finally gave in to us and let me make an appointment. He has significant hearing loss in the treble registers, which means it's harder to hear women's voices. (I wonder if that's why he didn't want to get the hearing aids - he likes not hearing us! - yada, yada!) When we heard the price, he had to be talked into the importance to his life of being able to hear what's going on. So we are biting the bullet and getting them. We're thinking of it as investing in his health so that he will be able to be more productive in his work and interpersonal relationships.
We've also had a number of birthday celebrations. My mother celebrated her 85th on Thursday. She is so energetic and full of spunk. She was actually still working until a week or so ago. She goes to exercise class twice a week, mows her own lawn, quilts and does all kinds of needlework, makes jellies and jams, plays games with her friends, etc. She is an inspiration to me when I feel old or tired! I left work at normal time on Thursday afternoon and drove up to visit with her and take her out to eat. After dinner, we played some games before going to bed. I stayed overnight and had breakfast and coffee with her before leaving mid morning and returning home. I didn't take my camera with me so I have no pictures to post of our time together.
Then last night, we had a surprise party for Andy's mom who turns 80 on Saturday. Andy's brother Dan planned the party with some help from the rest of us. He is so creative and interesting so of course the party was a lot of fun. Mom was totally surprised and shocked.
![]() | |
| With Jeff & Cindi |
![]() |
| With Andy and Dan |
![]() | |
| Norma Jean, the Birthday Queen |
All of our kids and their families were there so it was a lot of fun to be together. Dawn organized a little song for the grandkids to sing to their Great Grandmom.
Little Claire won't let me put her down. Of course, I'm happy to have as much cuddle time as possible with her. And Tommy - photo bombing our picture. What a guy!
We really haven't done much with the house except that we've recently noticed some weathering on the outside doors on the north side of the house. Andy bought a storm door to install for the one door but then we got the idea to look into awnings for over the doors. We had a company come out and give an estimate, then ordered them. I like them, they add some interest to the back of the house (and we were able to return the storm door).
In between all the excitement, I'm making a variety of summer salads for our dinners.
I just made this one up without a recipe. It's pretty easy - just use the ingredients you'd use for tacos.
![]() |
| Taco Salad |
![]() |
| Greek Pasta Salad |
![]() | |
| Top Ramen Salad |












No comments:
Post a Comment