Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Amico Island Park

After several days of gray gloom, it was so nice to see the sun shining brightly in a blue sky yesterday.  We had originally talked of going to see The Hobbit, but when the weather turned so nice, why would we want to sit in a dark theater for 3 1/2 hours?

I had heard of this bird sanctuary on the Delaware River and we had never been there, so as soon as we finished our house and garage cleaning in the morning, we decided to check it out.  Amico Island Park is only about 20 minutes from our house.  Technically, it's not a true island, but an isthmus, located where the Rancocas Creek flows into the Delaware River.  It is a 55 acre bird estuary, home to a wide variety of birds and animals.

We parked our car, but as I got out, I thought I felt a few drops of rain.  Looking up, we noticed a great gray cloud hovering right above us.  I went back to the car and grabbed an umbrella, thinking that I might need it.  We started on our hike, but didn't get more than a few hundred feet from the car when we heard a giant crash of thunder.  Yikes!  We ran back to the car and then that cloud opened up and poured down rain for about 20 minutes.  We sat there facing the river watching the rain drops on the windshield.


I'm glad we waited it out, though, because the sun did come out again.  We were able to hike along the trails, enjoying the day and God's creation.







It was a special treat to see these deer so close to us.



The trail was pretty wet in some spots but we managed to get through without getting our feet too wet.

This is a park well worth going to visit again, especially in the spring when the herons are building their nests.  Check out this link for a long list of birds that can been seen at this estuary.

Today was another good day - our annual staff Christmas party.  Andy and I are very grateful for the people we work with.  They are fun to be with and a joy to minister together.  We had lunch together and exchanged gifts.  We had an alliterated lunch:  Sandwiches, Salad, Soup, Sodas, Sweets.

The young guys must have been the hungriest!  They were the first to arrive.

 

 


I had originally thought I might not be able to spend much time at the party because of Dawn's surgery.  But the surgery was canceled till another day, so I was able to stay until time to clean up. 

No comments: