Monday, October 22, 2012

Things don't always turn out the way you think they will.  After enjoying the apple festival several weeks ago, Dawn suggested we check out the Cranberry Festival on Saturday.  That sounded like a lot of fun.  I had visions of red cranberries floating on the surface of the bogs in south Jersey.




The weather was supposed to be a beautiful fall day so off we went.

Well, our idea of a cranberry festival and what it really was were two different realities.  We got there around 10:00 am and were amazed at how many cars were already there.  As we got walking toward the festival, we had sinking feelings that this was not what we were expecting.  There were many booths and food stations set up - it was more like a giant flea market.  And the people - there were thousands of them. 

Before going to the festival on Saturday, we had seen that there would be real wolves there.  That sounded interesting.  But again, the reality was a little less than our expectations.  There was a 10' x 10' wire cage with 3 wolves in it.  For $10 you could go in the cage and get your picture taken with the wolves.  They seemed pretty tame, but we were not tempted!

Needless to say, we didn't stay long.  But since it was such a nice day, we drove home the long way, enjoying the beautiful fall colors through the Pine Barrens and blueberry fields.

Earlier in the week, I had contacted Christy and Amy and invited them to join us for a field trip to the cranberry bogs.  I had taken them there when I was home schooling them many years ago!  Amy had told me from the beginning she wouldn't be coming down and Christy decided Friday night, her Saturday was too busy to try to fit in a trip to south Jersey.  After we saw what the Festival was like, I was so glad they decided not to come down. 

Well, you win some, you lose some. 

Last night we had our singles group over again.  I made a curry dinner.  I did not take any pictures this time, but it turned out really good and everyone was very kind and complementary.  (I even got asked to share the recipe, which is a good indication of their sincerity!)  We're very happy with the way our group is developing and are enjoying their company.  They obviously love being with us, too, because we actually had to ask them to leave last night (at 9:30pm).  I am shot today...feel like I've been run over by the proverbial Mack truck!  I could use a day off - maybe tomorrow!

Recipe for Chicken Curry
4 pound stewing chicken
6 cups hot water
2 chopped onions
1 bay leaf
salt

Simmer preceding ingredients in large pan until chicken is tender, approx. 3 hours.  Save broth.

Melt together 1/4 cup butter and 1/2 cup flour.  Stir in chopped onion and celery.  Add 2 cups milk, 2 cups chicken broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, 3 teaspoons powdered curry. Add chicken.

Pour over rice.  Top with hard boiled eggs, peanuts, olives, cheese, tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, coconut, chutney, raisins, pineapple - any combination of these items.

This is a good recipe to serve company because it makes a lot.  I can't say exactly how many it serves, though.  The recipe is very old and that minor detail is not included.

We had 16 for dinner last night.  I tripled the recipe and have a lot left over.

2 comments:

Katy said...

You could probably freeze your leftover chicken, that sounds good! That's a bummer that the festival was not really a festival. I probably still would have had more fun than sitting in a tree stand getting bit by mosquitoes and not seeing any deer...
You win some, you lose some :P

Christy said...

I am just reading through these posts again and I'm now hankering for some Chicken Curry. How about that for Thanksgiving. ;)