After I posted last week about my trip to Washington to
visit my friends, I found several blogs by others on the friendship and the
importance of relationships.
One was from Christine Wyrtzen (christine@daughtersofpromise. org
– posted on June 15). Christine jotted down names of people who refresh her
when she’s in desperate need of it. What
is it about each one? Each is:
·
Someone
who is deeply at rest in the Lord.
·
Someone
who is unshaken by life.
·
Someone
who has had their needs met in Christ and can listen well without
self-distraction.
·
Someone
whose heart is full of the scriptures and it comes out of their mouth at just
the right time.
·
Someone
who inspires faith, not blind optimism.
·
Someone
who whispers courage based on God's presence and promises.
·
Someone
who prays for me, by name, with intuition and discernment.
How blessed we are to have friends in our lives who meet
these qualifications.
Then yesterday I was on another of my favorite blogs, www.aholyexperience.com, where Ann
Voskamp wrote:
And I’m thinking about
the times I’ve been in my own bubble with my own agendas of accomplishments,
drifting away from people and the true happiness disguised.
I’m remembering with a
strange sadness a woman standing amidst the floral memorials of her mother’s
funeral, telling us of her mother’s far-and-wide reputation for the important
stuff of bleach and immaculate housekeeping.
I’m thinking about the
time I’ve chosen to wash windows, tend a flowerbed, answer an email, instead of
playing a game of bananagrams with a trio of loud boys, read an Eloise Wilken
story to pleading eyes.
My pride was tangled
up in the tasks.
Why doesn’t it always
matter more to love well?
Is it because
relationships don’t bring us paychecks or praise?
Loving well, stepping
over hurt, laying aside self and desires, draws on more of our interior
resources than investing in a career, a skill, a personal pursuit. And yet,
there are no promotions. No public status. No guarantees.
Relationships grow
only in the soil of humility, selflessness, open-handedness. Relationships are
inherently risky: for all that, you can’t control the outcome.
Investing in
relationships requires courage. It mandates daily fortitude and intentionality
to make moment by moment decisions to prioritize relationships while balancing
vocational demands.
Do my daily decisions
support my belief that relationship is the essence of reality? Or do I merely
pay lip service to relationship — while
the use of my hours clearly reveals true priorities?
The value of your life
— is the value of your relationships. With God and men.
So because I value relationships, developing and maintaining
them, I go to Washington to renew “auld acquaintances.” And I babysit at the drop of a hat, the dirt
will wait for me to tackle it another day.
I put my agenda aside to spend face to face time with Andy. I don’t always do it perfectly, there are
times when I am asked to do something for someone that I hesitate, weighing in
my mind the value of such a thing or if I can fit it into my schedule. But ultimately, God highly values
relationship, it’s what makes the godhead so unique and beautiful. God the Father, Son & Holy Spirit always
together, in perfect harmony, love, joy --- relationship.
This past weekend, we were blessed to have Kira over for a
day and a night. Dawn & Tommy went
to a wedding in Pennsylvania, so they brought Kira over around 1:00 on Saturday
afternoon. Of course, we had lots of fun
with her. She is such a joy, keeping
busy with whatever she thinks of to do and inviting us to join her.
She stayed overnight, we took her to church on Sunday, then
Dawn & Tommy came by to get her around 12:00 noon.
Soon after they left, Ricky and Amy and their kids came
by. We had lunch together, then strolled
around our yard because Amy wanted to see all my flowers. We walked to the pond and helped the kids
throw sticker balls in the water. They
didn’t stay long because they had come down to get a couch from Andy’s brother
Jeff. But we were happy to have them
here for as long as they were.
As it happened, I did have time this week to tackle the
dirt. The house had gotten pretty dusty
from all the construction dirt that was generated with the kitchen
renovation. I’m working room by room,
getting the worst ones first. The front
room is done, as well as the dining room and sitting area. The kitchen is pretty much finished, with
only 2 more finishing touches left to do.
Andy worked at painting the doors and putting in the thresholds on
Tuesday. All that’s left are: 1) installing
under the cabinet lights and 2) putting
in the kick plate under the cabinets.
I’m very happy with the way the kitchen turned out. I can’t believe it was done with such a
minimum of inconvenience, which is now a distant memory!
But realistically, this new kitchen will burn someday, along
with the rest of the house and all the things we’ve accumulated. But what will last beyond time and into
eternity is the relationships I’ve developed over the years. Can you imagine how wonderful it will be to
spend all of eternity, no time constraints, with the people we love. Wow!
Sounds like heaven!










1 comment:
I like that list from Christian Wyrzten on what qualifies a good friend. That's something to strive for myself, to be that person.
The kitchen looks great. We were looking forward to some pictures of that. I really love those Roman shades on your windows. Very pretty!
Post a Comment