Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Waiting Game

In some ways, waiting for a baby to come is like waiting for Jesus to return. Unless a C-section is scheduled, we don't know the day or the hour of the baby's arrival. There are signs that the time is near and each day draws us closer to the blessed event, but it's still difficult to predict the exact moment or arrival.

So what do we do while we wait? Jesus told his disciples, "As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming when no one can work." There is work to be done and it won't be accomplished by sitting around wishing for Jesus' return.

Mentally and emotionally, I'm ready for Baby to be born. I long to hold that new little one and be with the rest of the family for a couple of days. But it might not happen yet for a day or two or... So earlier this past week Andy and I wrote up a list of projects we wanted to get done around the house. It's a nice feeling to get it down on paper for giving a sense of purpose and direction. Then Tuesday morning, I was delighted to suddenly hear sounds of hammering and construction. However, those sounds weren't coming from the direction I had been expecting. When I investigated, I found Andy was ripping up the carpet that went to the upstairs apartment. What??? That wasn't on the list. But when I called him on the carpet for it (pun intended!), he said it needed to be done. He was right because the carpet was extremely dirty, actually disgustingly dirty. He got it all ripped out, but now we have to decide what to do instead. We have some ideas that we're talking about, so stay tuned.All summer we had a young lady staying in our apartment. She moved in in mid-June with the intention of moving out the end of August. Her parents live in Brazil, but for now she has chosen to live in the States. She worked as a summer intern with the church, so it was convenient for her to live in our apartment. As it turned out, she was not able to move out until just a week ago. What a sweet girl she is. We enjoyed having her for dinner several times and we'll miss her. However, we will still see her nearly every day because she is working for the church. As a matter of fact, I will be teaching her some of my work, so she can take over for me when I go on vacation.
On Friday night, Dawn made dinner for us. She made a taco casserole which was delicious. I think this was quite ambitious considering she was concentrating on potty training Kira. After dinner we all sat in Kira's room for the adults to talk and visit between Kira's squeals of delight at being the center of attention! She has really latched on to Andy, her Pop-pop. He's a lot of fun and isn't too adult to chase her around and around and play hide and seek with her.
I thought the fall folliage was nearly at an end but yesterday was a spectacularly sunny day so I couldn't resist taking some pictures around the property.

These 2 pictures were actually a little earlier in the week.
Yesterday
Uh-oh, I see more work in my future.
So come on, Baby, come on. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus (Revelation 22:20).

No comments: