Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

Shout for joy to the Lord all the earth. Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the Lord is God. It is He who made us, and we are His; we are His people, the sheep of His pasture. Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise; give thanks to Him and praise His name. For the Lord is good and His love endures forever; His faithfulness continues through all generations.
Psalm 100

Andy and I were by ourselves today while our daughters spent the day with their families and in-laws. We are all getting together tomorrow, so in anticipation, I spent all day in the kitchen. There will be 31 people here: our own kids and grandkids, as well as Andy's 2 brothers and their families, plus Sarah (cousin) and Bekki (cousin of a cousin).

I made 2 batches of rolls, pineapple au gratin, potato filling, a cherry pie, an apple custard pie, a cheese ball, and sausage stuffing. I plan to cook the turkey in the morning. Dinner will be at 2:00 pm so I'll have plenty of time.
I had an adventure while baking the apple custard pie. I had it in for 30 minutes, then had to add the crumbs to the top and bake another 40 minutes. It was in for the second time, when all of a sudden after 10 minutes, the smoke alarms started blaring. I checked out the oven and the pie was blackening (as you can see in the picture above). I checked the temperature and it registered at 500 degrees! Oh, no. This happened before and we had to have the oven repaired to the tune of $350. Yikes! The stove is not even 4 years old and it wasn't cheap. Then it was repaired in February. What is going on? I found the receipt for the repair and fortunately, the parts are warranteed for 1 year. So we'll have to have someone come look at it again. Thankfully, there's another oven in this house (Mom's). I still need to cook the turkey, then heat up all the other stuff we're having.

My sisters-in-law, daughters and Mom are bringing sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, applesauce, corn, mashed potatoes, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, apple pie, green bean casserole. It makes my mouth water just thinking about all that food.

Andy spent the day working on the front porch. He got the posts wrapped and started replacing the siding. I didn't take any pictures of what he did today because by the time he finished, it was dark. I'll be out there in the morning with my camera so next time I post, I'll include them.

Needless to say, we're both pretty tired out, but looking forward to a fun day tomorrow.

4 comments:

Katy said...

You busy beaver you. I can't believe your stove broke again! they just don't make 'em like they used to. See you soon:)

Alison said...

mike and i wish we were there to share that meal and company! it sounds wonderful. we were talking about it the other day and figured you'd have about 30 there! wow! good luck with the oven. what a time to break down!

Anonymous said...

Glad you still have the receipts, hope all turns out well. Happy Thanksgiving

Nancy Yoder said...

Don't you love it when things break at the wrong time, but then is there ever a right time!? Were you still praising the Lord when your pie was all black? You are fortunate there is another stove so close. Have fun today and eat well!