Tuesday was my birthday - the beginning of my last year in the 60's. My friends came through with lots of love and attention. I met two friends for lunch, then another friend took me out to dinner. Andy's brother very kindly bought a bouquet of flowers and a card, took them over to Andy and helped him sign the card.
On Valentine's Day a bouquet of roses showed up at my front door from another couple, thinking of me. So I have quite a collection of flowers and cards.
Meanwhile, not much has changed...which sometimes is a good thing.
I continue to read Randy Alcorn's book, Ninety Days of God's Goodness. Every day's reading is so comforting with good reminders of God's character and how we can trust Him with everything that we are going through.
What I read today was titled: Too Small to See the Big Picture. The Scripture reading was from Isaiah 55:6-9 familiar verses where God tells us: "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the Lord. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Randy asks: "Why should I, a finite and fallen creature, expect that I will understand God's reasons for doing what he does and allowing what he allows? If God always thought the way I do, something would be terribly wrong with him."
He continues in a later paragraph, "We tend to see God as a bigger, smarter version of ourselves...But God is not like us: 'God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind' (Numbers 23:19). God says, 'you thought I was altogether like you' (Psalm 50:21). Whatever seems good to us, we think, should be good to God. Whatever we think is fair, God should do...Yet we have neither the qualifications nor the authority to exercise such judgment. Not only does God's character infinitely surpass our own, but his thoughts and perspectives radically transcend ours."
And he concludes this section with the assertion that "we don't need explanations, we need 'God, who comforts the downcast' (2 Corinthians 7:6). God doesn't always explain why we suffer, yet millions of people attest to the comfort he has brought them in their darkest hours."
I say "amen" to that. It's very difficult to explain to someone who hasn't experienced it for themselves, but when life is so hard, there is no one else to turn to but God. And he gives peace, life, comfort, the strength to go on, but the greatest gift of all: Himself.
Psalm 147:3 ~ "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds."
Psalm 94:19 ~ "When anxiety was great within me, Your consolation brought joy to my soul."
Psalm 63:7-8 ~ "Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 62:1-2 ~ "My soul finds rest in God alone, my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken."
In the Sunday school class I've been attending, we've been encouraged to memorize one verse from each chapter of Hebrews. I've been enjoying that and the verses have been so precious as I review them before I fall asleep at night.
Hebrews 4:16 has been especially meaningful to me; "Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." I say that verse, then I tell the Lord that I am there, I am in a time of great need. His mercy and grace are available to me, giving me the strength to go on. He never gets tired of me coming to him, but tells us we can approach him with confidence. He always hears me and delights to serve me by meeting my needs.
How good is the God we adore! He is worthy of our love, adoration, praise and worship.
No comments:
Post a Comment