Sunday, April 19, 2015

Activity Director

Every day Andy asks me what we're doing that day. So I give him the agenda. Either we're going to work or we're working around the house and trying to fit in a hike. So another hat I'm wearing now includes Activity Director.

Yesterday's activities included:

1.  meeting a friend for coffee - just me
2. doing laundry - just me
3. doing exercises - Andy
4. vacuum - just me
5. work on a new puzzle - both of us
6. do yard work - both of us
7. go for a hike - both of us

etc. etc. etc. - you get the idea

We actually fit in a lot yesterday and it was so beautifully spring-like. Everything is blooming and it happened so suddenly - forsythia, magnolia, lilies, hyacinth, daffodils, the weeping cherry, with more in the next couple of days.

We hadn't been to the Brendan T Byrne State Forest in a long time. Well, actually, we had been there this winter but the trails were snow and ice covered so we couldn't do any hiking. So back we went yesterday and were able to walk an estimated 4-5 miles. 

 
The first thing I noticed yesterday as we started down the trail is how good it smelled. Fresh outdoor balsam smell...mmm!

We have hiked this path a number of times before and I am always so impressed by the giant Atlantic white cedars growing in a section of the forest. The brochure we picked up at the Ranger Station says that "Atlantic white cedar once covered vast areas of the Brendan T. Byrne State Forest, but competition from other species and increased deer population have reduced regeneration of this species."





They are impressive trees, aren't they?


It was actually quite warm while we were hiking. It felt more like summer than spring in April. There wasn't much of a breeze and the sun was quite warm. And because there were still no leaves on the trees, there was minimal shade.

I admit I was a bit nervous about the tick possibility. I read online before we left that the spring is the season when ticks are most looking for a host. To avoid the possibility of picking one up, stick to the middle of the trail and don't brush up against vegetation along the side of the trail. So we kept the rules!

 I was tired yesterday so I told Andy we wouldn't be hiking today. He was disappointed but I stuck to my guns! I need a day of rest. Being Activity Director can be tiring. This is a stretch for me because I don't consider myself an idea person. I suppose in some ways, it could be worse. At least I know what he likes to do. Hike, hike, hike and hike. Fortunately, I like to do it, too. But I do have other responsibilities that need to be attended to. Well, somehow it all works out.

I've referenced Elyse Fitzpatrick before. I've been working through her book Comforts from Romans, reading a devotional each morning. I love the way she thinks and writes. Here are some of the things I wrote in my journal of what ministered to me.

Rules won't make sin lovers obey because the real problem is not outward behavior but inward loves.

The gospel is about Jesus, not about me. Paul's command in Romans 6:11 is not to DO, but REMEMBER what Jesus did for me. Even a simple thing like remembering can be difficult because we are so prone to wander and forget.

The ultimate secret to freedom from sin: revealed in Romans 6:14 - "you are not under law but under grace." We are no longer under God's condemning eyes looking to destroy. Instead, his smile rests upon us and all the blessings of grace, favor and merit.

I am no longer a slave to sin and should not even want to sin because I am fully satisfied at the banquet table of God's grace.

The law has no power over me - I have died to sin - I am gloriously deceased! But alive to God.

Our attitude toward the law? We love it and pray that we'll obey it. We long to reflect the marvelous character of our Father and we rest wholly in the imputed righteousness of the only One who ever fulfilled it.

Jesus lived a perfect life in every way, not only outwardly, but his every thought and motive were pure and pleasing to the Father. He obeyed the spirit, as well as the letter of the law. This perfection is imputed to me because of his death and resurrection.

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus! Woo hoo!!!

I am a great sinner but I have a great Savior. Even though I don't understand how all things can work together for good, I do understand at least one thing: he is working in my character to change me. He's making me aware of the idols in my heart, of unbelief and ungodly character. He's doing a deep and painful yet beneficial work in my life. We do not see how deceived we still are but he does, so he works all things for good, that I will become what he has already declared: justified and righteous.

When you think about it, it's gracious of God to allow us to go through trials. It's a sign that he cares about us and our behavior. He's at work to make us more like Jesus.

He's the real Activity Director! Oh, that I would be as patient, kind and gentle as He is with me.

No comments: